HybridZ

"wavy" roof of a 240z

was looking at a 240z last night and noticed it was "wavy". sometimes not even noticeable unless looked at from a different angle. everything is structural sound. 2nd owner, well maintained. he didn't even notice it and I think he's being  honest.  I know the sheet metal on that year was weak- he says his wife was always putting stuff on there out in the garage. could that cause that?  thank you.  and  no, I wasn't smart enough to take pics.

It's a 40 yr old car...It's probably seen more than one hail storm, basketball on top of it, or fat chick in it's day. Any amount of pressure would leave dents in the sheetmetal on these cars or even after a repair from most of the body men I've seen would leave a 'wavy' panel behind him.

When I did the body work on my car, the roof took a fair amount of work to straighten out... very thin layer of bondo... primer... the usual.  I'd examine the spot welds on the seams and verify they are factory...  that the roof hasn't been replaced somewhere along the line.  If the welds are factory, and from the inside you can't perceive any undulations in the headliner, then it's nothing that can't be addressed by a body shop during a repaint.  If factory spot welds are not obvious (in the rain gutter areas) or you have obvious undulations in the headliner, then their could be gobs of bondo in the panel or other nightmares waiting for you.