HybridZ

vh45dett 240z

ekoms31

I like the color of the valve covers. How hard was it to brighten up the block and heads?

The blue 450z everyone is familiar with shows some frame modification for exhaust I assume

Are you having to do any of that? I have a Q45 and wanting to do this same swap.

Is there enough room for a set of N/A headers without frame modification?

How close is your oil pan to the crossmember?

I believe I know whats needed for a Z32 5 speed, but I can't find much more info.

Any words of wisdom? Time to ditch the turbo 6!

Edited by tyler031734

I like the color of the valve covers. How hard was it to brighten up the block and heads?

The blue 450z everyone is familiar with shows some frame modification for exhaust I assume

Are you having to do any of that? I have a Q45 and wanting to do this same swap.

Is there enough room for a set of N/A headers without frame modification?

How close is your oil pan to the crossmember?

I believe I know whats needed for a Z32 5 speed, but I can't find much more info.

Any words of wisdom? Time to ditch the turbo 6!

the cover plate and vavle cover where sent out to be chromed and powder coated.

i havent got to the point of making an exhaust.

i never tried putting on the oem headers. i dont think it will fit.

i had to cut and turn the oil pan around and made it into a rear sump.  if i was to do it again, i would have done the same as the blue vh45dett 240z, which is cut 1-2" off the oil pan and weld it up to clear the crossmember.

i used the mazworx adapter with the z32 transmission.  xcessive also makes an adapter.

i ordered a transmission mount for the z32 transmission in s30 from mckinney motorsports.

this is my first build, so my knowledge is limited.  if you were to go turbo it is a tight squeeze. 

Edited by ekoms31

I was thinking a set of custom headers would be needed. Just using the stockers and welding off of them. Not my first swap but more nervous on this one.

Everyone does an inline 6 Turbo or a SBC. There is less to be found on the VH45DE. Please post any helpful info.

Thanks though. Where did you find out the pan info on the blue 450z? Maybe I can dig some more info there.

from the picture you can tell they cut enough off the clear the crossmember. 

I haven't been able to find that picture or maybe I over looked it. Where might I find that photo?

Are you using the NA bell housing or the TT one? Did you/will you send in your bell housing for machining?

That's just to put the starter on the other side isn't it? Not to descriptive on the website.

I've sourced the tranny parts I need. After I find that little information I think Ill have enough to stick it in there and figure the rest out.

Just like my first time.    :blush: 

http://www.zparts.com/showcase/engines/images/q45zpower_15rw.jpg

i have a TT tranny that was machine by mazworx.  i live 30min away from mazworx.

you have to machine the bell housing to have it mount flush with the block.  if you were to use other tranny adapter, you dont have to machine it and just add a spacer on the flywheel.

Alrighty. Thanks ekoms31. I did look at that picture before. Just didn't know what I was looking for yet.

i used the mazworx adapter with the z32 transmission.  xcessive also makes an adapter.

Turns out Xcessive is in my home town! But further reading I find out when using the Xcessive adapter, you have to grind off about .25" off the back of the crank shaft and possibly clearance the block.

Hmm, I might go Mazworx and ask the guys in the tool and die room for a favor.

• 1 month later...

Hey, there's not a lot of chatter in this end of Hybridz these days - too bad. this is a SICK swap. I'm doing the same thing, but on a really low budget. I was initially excited about a TT (I have several spare turbos in storage), but it is too much work to get it ready for this summer. so just the NA block as is, and I may TT later.

Questions; I had to completely remove the alternator and oil filter with mount to get the block to fit between the rails. How did you mount the alternator? you have a shorter custom bracket? How are you going to manage the oil filter? That is, most oil filter relocation kits are meant to be spun onto the existing oil filter mount - but I need to remove the mount altogether. do you have a custom piece that bolts onto block, and routes the hoses? I'm considering cutting the OEM mount, tapping the aluminum, and screwing the hoses into this bracket. I see it's been mentioned that the entire front cross member has been eliminated - what's the plan for the replacement? Do you have the stock oil pan?

thanks,

Sim