HybridZ

cheap turbo upgrade

mattb3562

In that second pic, two fingers can be fully inserted into the compressor outlet, as with the nissan unit, the third pic shows my fingers as far as they'll go. Please hold the jokes fellas as this was the best way to demonstrate measurement with what i have. I'm sorry but these are from being 'the same housing'

The Ford T3 is the SAME COMPRESSOR WHEEL IN THE SAME HOUSING. It's not any bigger. There was no upgrade there. The .48 A/R housing would do exactly what Tony said, bring in the boost sooner...but it would behave identically to the Nissan turbo with the same .48 A/R housing.

Every functional turbocharger has wheels to measure...we're talking about the moving parts! If your Nissan turbo didn't have wheels to measure, it was a center housing, turbine housing and a compressor housing with no moving parts...

Additionally, from my checking around. LZ18ET, L20ET, L28ET, CA18ET, and VG30ET all have the same center section. The differences are in the housings.

This makes sense from a manufacturer stocking a single part for their own compressor housings.

All that smaller housing does it bring in the boost sooner. It helps to port the waste gate hole as with any of the stock turbos, and get a decent boost controller. The off-idle full boost really makes the car feel more like a supercharged car than turbocharged.

Be aware, highway cruise may be ZCar zero vacuum. It likes tall gears like the stock 3.36, or you boots with a touch of the pedal at highway speeds.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing...

In that second pic, two fingers can be fully inserted into the compressor outlet, as with the nissan unit, the third pic shows my fingers as far as they'll go. Please hold the jokes fellas as this was the best way to demonstrate measurement with what i have. I'm sorry but these are from being 'the same housing'

Sorry, but THAT section of the turbo has absolutely nothing to do with response.

Ultimate flow perhaps, but you will be nowhere near that with these compressor wheels.

The turbo uses a vaneless diffuser, and flow path dumping from wheel exit to the toroidal area on the scroll. The flow path and size of the torus adjacent to the wheel makes a difference, the pipe exiting it does not.

What you are looking at more likely than not is "litigation weight" for external containment should the wheel frag out.

The casing thickness on the Ford is quiet a bit heavier than the Nissan, this accounts for most of he size difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Well to bring this back up....If I were to buy a .50 trim t04e compressor and wheel, would I be able to put them on the previous mentioned turbo? The only possible problem I could think of would be the shaft length as I don't know if the "depth" of the t4 wheel would be too wide to adapt to mine. Has anyone tried this before?