HybridZ

Anyone know anything about car stereos?

josh817

Today my truck was giving me hell. Bad ground cable from the battery. I would turn the key on, fuel pump comes on, all electrics come on, but when I went to crank everything just cuts out and its like the battery has been disconnected. Turn the key off, cycle it, no power to anything at all. We found out the ground cable has become loose.

Ok so we get it tight, everything works. Radio has been reset but now.... all the buttons work, they do something when I press them, they just don't do what they're suppose to. The "clock" button for instance will change the radio from FM/AM. The tune buttons will adjust the fade and the bass, the old fade and bass buttons are now the up and down for the tuner.

I tried cycling the key, removing the face plate, undoing the battery for 20 seconds and reconnecting it, won't go back to normal. It's a Pioneer DEH-1900

Ideas?

Edited by josh817

Sounds like either the main processor, or the communications chip in the face got fried.

If you know of someone else with the same model, you can try swapping faces to find out.

Either way, time for a new unit. Yes it could be repaired, but by the time you spend the money on the repair, it would likely be cheaper to buy a new one.

Oh and I forgot to mention, using the tuner to go through FM stations, instead of doing like 97.1-97.2-97.3-etc it now does 97.1-97.15-97.2-97.25 somehow it's doing .05 intervals...

That's a European tuner setting IIRC. Odd.

As suggested you can try the reset button, but disconnecting power does the same.