HybridZ

Not your typical day at the track and oops...July 2012

1 tuff z

Finally getting around to posting about this. Running a 2 day event last July at Watkins Glen, 2nd morning session and probably got either lazy or not focused 100%. Heading up through the esses [between turns 2-4], got a little late entering 3 and the car didn't quite want to turn like I wanted it to. Going about 100mph I was heading at an angle which would see initial impact with the right front into the armco which lines the right side of the track entry overpass. Didn't panic or lift and kept the wheel input while the Z responded ever so slowly.

My life is now in slow motion and the nano seconds tick. I reflect back to when it was purchased [10/1984], how long I've been driving there [before the bus stop was constructed, 1987] and how bad was this going to go? Current anticipated scenario-hmm, right front hit, car bounces, rotates counter-clocksise, right tail taps before it shoots across the track and hits the opposite wall, is scraped off the tarmac and flatbedded home? REALLY don't like #1. Onto the next series of frames; the Z continued to ever so slowly rotate clockwise, now it seemed as though I'd sideswipe the right side-not good but better than initially. Slo-mo video still running frame by frame, Z continues to rotate - can I save it? No, who am I kidding, BLAM-I hit the baby blue armco with the right rear - tail immediately kicks left, quick countersteer, squeeze the go pedal and [still holding my breath] caress it through turn 4 onto the back straight. I exhale, slowly. No funky vibrations, car is running, no extra pieces in the mirror. Maybe I didn't really do any damage at all-RIGHT.

I get it around the track, she seems to handle fine and I pull into the pits. Quick lecture from Bob the marshall and I head to the paddock. Get out and slowly walk around. Driver door hit the door opening chipping the paint but looks fine, slight dent/buckle in the left quarter, bumper is dangling, hatch looks like it hit the body at the top - chipping the paint but also not bad. Now I'm behind the car - my new Z car customs spoiler is still there & lights are ok. Walk around the right side-deep breath first and wait for the pain. Bumper torn from it's side and rear mount, new spoiler tagged, quarter creased and highlighted with baby blue WGI armco paint but nothing major. Good news, I can drive it home and no flat bed needed!

Take a large slice of humble pie and wolf that down - I am not the greatest Z driver...bubble bursted. Get much support from my friends who are in attendance and most console me with the fact that since the late 80's my Z has escaped the odds of damage. I do feel a little better plus I know that all the spares needed for repair are in my Z attic stash!

Delay calling Ann Marie [my loving and most understanding bride of 22+years] until the drive home. When we speak she reminds me I'm fortunate to have been spared Z damage all these years and thrilled I'm driving the Z home and, it can be 'mended'. She's a keeper and I feel tons better [nearly cry] - love that woman!

Drive a few more events that summer and, decide before returning to WGI, to take a sharpie to mark where & when I hit & what. My strategy worked and I was plagued by fewer questions that anticipated.

October 2012: I take it to my business partners body shop, guy says no problem old Japanese steel is pretty thin and can pull/dolly the metal. He also prefers not to have the NOS quarter I planned to provide [i'm glad to hear that too]. Told them to take all winter if they need [then I don't have to store it...] and am told it won't take that long.

FF to January 2013, I visit to see how she's coming along - nothing. Call 2 weeks later and still no progress - they're backed up with winter snow & ice crash-em-up's. Tell them that I don't care how long it takes but I'll be there April 1st to take my Z home so I have ample prep time before the early May WGI event!

Get a call Friday 2/22, body work nearly complete! I drive by today 2/25/13 to snap some pics and speak to Glen [the "you crash em we mend" race car body guy] and he said it wasn't as bad as he thought - and it looks awesome. Said he thinks they'll be done in a couple of weeks and I'm jazzed.

Pics

post-176-0-88298200-1361841053_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-07067200-1361841057_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-93268200-1361841059_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-08141600-1361841065_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-29803100-1361841074_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-83497600-1361841077_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the z on Tuesday this week [3/12/13], trailered her home to begin the re-assembly.  They did a real nice job on the body and matching the paint [base white then clear with platinum pearl-custom color which I was thrilled they were able to closely match as it was painted in 1990 when I was stationed in Pensacola, FL].  Wrinkle on left quarter fixed, double crease from light blue guard rail massaged out, lower finisher also fixed.  They blended the paint nearly to the door jamb-hard to tell where it ends.   Almost no putty as the body guy is pretty skilled in 'panel beating' as you can see.  Some initial pics inside my garage...

post-176-0-29396500-1363265809_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-25526800-1363265810_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-89019400-1363265812_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

• 3 weeks later...

Warm weather today, lots of car stuff. Made a custom pigtail for the replacement Focus SVT horns [poor connector design by someone, allows moisture to collect & corrode], got those installed, polished the hazed headlight and installed the replacement clutch position switch [cruise doesn't work without it]. Done with the daily driver, onto the Z! Installed the MSA fiberglass rear bumper, had to use a spacer on both ends where they mount to the lower quarter panels as the brackets were just not going to bend enought to make it. Had to drop the tank to get to the right side-plus i found a small amount of inner sheet metal about 4" below the marker light that was dented in from the accident which was not repaired and figured if i didn't close it off i'd get the dreaded cockpit fumes. So, tank down I carefully hammered, using a large drift, the metal back toward the corner of the car [directly behind the corner of rear bumper]. Once completed I was able to seal the small gap with some caulk. With that sealed, back goes the tank, exhaust, right rear wheel, pull the jack stands and git her on all fours again!

Done for now. Still need to finish replacing all the interior trim I removed but will get to that another day.

Anyway, she's looking pretty good and will be ready for my first track event May 3-5th at Watkins Glen with the BMW club.