HybridZ

300zx sbc swap

Currently doing a 350 sbc swap into my 84 z31, was wondering if I could use the t5 trans that comes behind the 85 turbo (FS5R90A). If I heard this correctly, I should be able to swap the bellhousing and input shaft with a t5 from a camaro and it should line up with the 350? Just need something that can get me by until I can come up with a different transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently doing a 350 sbc swap into my 84 z31, was wondering if I could use the t5 trans that comes behind the 85 turbo (FS5R90A). If I heard this correctly, I should be able to swap the bellhousing and input shaft with a t5 from a camaro and it should line up with the 350? Just need something that can get me by until I can come up with a different transmission.

Well if im not mistaken the Datsun T5 bolt pattern in similar to the ford bolt pattern. So in order to do it would would need a Chevy T5 bellhousing and a adapter plate to bolt the datsun T5. Also the Datsun T5 will be eaten alive by the SBC. You are going to be better off finding a cheap WC T5 from a F-body chevy off craigslist and going with that. Once you factor in the cost of teh bellhousing, adapter plate, and input shaft you will be spending a lot more money to run a weaker transmission behind your SBC if you pick the datsun T5.

Edited by logan1

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm about 100% sure I'm just going to go with a fbody T-5 and just baby it until I can come up with the money to toss a t56 in it. Just so I have this right, I'm going to need the flywheel, starter, clutch plate, and disc to mate it to the 350? And on another note, would the stock clutch assembly as in the master/slave cylinder be enough to work the clutch correctly? Or should I just be safe and pickup the assembly from the fbody? Once I get my engine bay cleaned out and my pictures uploaded I'm going to post a build thread since the only ones on the z31 are either unfinished or have pictures that have been taken down. Thanks alot!

To run a WC T5 out of a Chevy Fbody car you will need the a 153T SBC flywheel and 10.5" Clutch and pressure plate. you best bet will be to buy a high torque ministarter off ebay. You will need to upgrade your clutch. The cheapest way to go will be to use a clutch master cylinder out of a 90's F150 and the clutch slave cylinder out of a 90's camaro (or anyother Fbody car that ran a T5).

Thanks a lot! I've read a few other threads about the WC T5 swap, only thing I wasn't really familiar with was the Clutch Master/Slave. Wasn't sure if they were pretty much the same throughout BW T5s or not. Will start a build thread once I get most of the parts together now that I have my parts list.