HybridZ

AWD Z?????

stony

Guest Anonymous

All great ideas, but take another into account. Audi has been doing all wheel drive for years. In the late 70's to late 80's they made a decent sized v8 icon_wink.gif I am not sere about the input size of the tranny but maye you could miz mach a different v8 with the right bellhousing?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Have you guys seen the audi commercial with the woman driving rally? Incredible controlled slides in the old Quatro (which was a BAD MoFo back then).Awesome.

I am sure someone will pull off a AWD Z at some point, nothings impossible if you spend either alot of time or money or both (If the Z doesn't feel like a money pit yet, you ain't far enough into the project yet... evil laugh icon_mad.gif .).

I'm thinking strip a WRX Soob and plop in the driveline, make the Z very very light fiberglass everything, and then cut and fit it into the Z. The major problem will be getting the heads by the frame rails, but if one could pull it off think how low the CG would be.

There will be plenty of HP in that boxer motor when you get 15-20 psi of boost on it, stock it was what 225hp, 500+ would be possible and probably much more with the right grip ($) icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Oh yeah, not Nissan, what was I thinking... icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'd like to drive a WRX with 280hp, that would be cool and if it were mine, it woudln't have ONLY 280 hp very long... Now let me see, where is the wastegate on this thing.... icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone

There's a hotted up version of th eWRX coming. The Subaru sales guys were telling me about all of the neato' sports parts coming too. Already there's a "test tube" to replace the primary catalyst that resides between exhaust port and turbo icon_rolleyes.gif I'd love to own a WRX but not until the tranny is stronger at least and I'd prefer it with the new beefier motor too. It's coming...

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a picture of the sierra xr4x4i 2.9 4wd system its the same as a cosworth except from the bellhousing and disc brake size. By the way a ford explorer 4.0 ohv or sohc engine fits on a 2.9 transmission as its developed from the european cologne engine block http://www.asknik.co.uk/supp.html

This man is going to fit a sohc in his xr4x4 with twin turbos developing 350 hp http://www.area51.org.uk/projectcar/car.shtml

Guest John Adkins

What about GMC Syclone/Typhoon AWD parts?

I remember reading that these were put together using off the shelf AWD parts from

the Chevy Astro van... So parts shouldn't be too difficult to obtain...

for practicality's sake...

bust out your welding stuff, and make a new frame that will fit your drivetrain of choice. then mod the Z body to fit the frame and look as close to production as possible...

i think that would be the cheapest, and least labor intensive process... designing your own car cant be that hard, right? lol

i think that an awd z would be cool... not practical, but cool.

Guest Anonymous

Ive been following this thread for a while and decided it was time to trow my .02 cents worth in. If i was really serious about doing an AWD Z then id throw any ideas about Budget buildups out the window, Id spend a LOT of time on the net and in wrecking yards looking at different setups from different cars.

After i had chosen the best suspension, brakes and transmission/engine package, id start designing a 3/4 chassis setup that has a custom tube front to tie all the suspension, engine etc, together and has rails that bolt up under the shell. Allowing you to keep the rear suspension setup and body fairly stockish (if you want to), then if i had any spare change a one piece fiberglass front would be nice, otherwise incorperate standard panel mounts into the front chassis setup.

Big brakes, good suspension and a few ponies under the bonnet and you'd have a car to put most others to shame on the street or the strip.

P.s. if anyone can get there hands on the arizona Z tube chassis plans i'd love to see em.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, what about the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder? 3.5L V6 and AWD and Nissan (like anyone cares ). icon_biggrin.gif But it's just a thought. If not, then what about the old eclipses? They go for dirtcheap.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hayai-Z

I'm new and haven't had a chance to read through all of the posts, but i did read that someone was talking about subaru's tranny and transfer case. So, I'm not sure weather this was said or not....

i don't know all the detail, but, subaru's output shaft to the center diff (on the 2.5 RS at least) is hollow. from the center diff, a drive shaft to the front is sent through the center of the output shaft. that's how subaru does it. think it could work for a Z? i don't know if it would be possible to fit one of subaru's flat 4 power plants into a 260z (which is what i have), but i could possibley work on later moddles.

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

I like the "outside the box" thinking going on in this thread. Ofcourse, you wouldn't have to go outside the Nissan name... What about the Bluebird, or even the Pulsar GTiR?

I believe the Bluebird uses an r200, so you might not have to tamper with the rearend too much.

You know, there's alot of discussion in the forums about an sr20 swap; it'd be cool to drop a pic of that engine bay on 'em!

Guest Anonymous
What about the acura integra ls allwheel drive system. I have not checked into it but It might fit.

im not sure where you heard this but im pretty sure there has never been an integra with awd. have you been talking to the local ricers again?