HybridZ

Z432 replica? Thoughts....

drifterboy240

Ok so I went to a local shop that deals mainly with imports and imports jdm motors and what not, and well I have been tossing around the idea in my head of doing a Z432 replica, so I inquired about getting a RB20de yes non turbo and convert it over to the tripple webers I got on my 71' 240z and everyone there gave me a funny look as to why would want to do this and they tried selling me a RB20det a 25det had some decent prices but I still want to do a Z432 replica and get it as close as possible as I can with my car being a left hand drive at least and not having to spend on a S20 engine and trans....any thoughts on a project of this kind and where I can find a motor for this kind of project....

Thanks in advance, Nick

• Like 1

I started off wanting to do the same thing, that's why I got a Toyota 7MGE because it had a distributor and the exhaust is on the passenger side (just like how a right hand drive with a Nissan DOHC engine has the exhaust on the passenger side) and I was going to put triple Webers, custom air box to match the S20's, custom valve covers, etc, etc. But since then I've spent too much time around high powered cars and I found a real nice set of RB26 ITBs so I drifted away from the "replica" idea even though I still want to have the custom made valve covers and I want to make a low mount turbo manifold with big swoops like you see on the headers people use on S20s and TC24 heads.

I truly have always wanted to do a 432 replica with my Z since day one of owning it although i do like your idea of the 7m idea hope u stick with it it would be pretty sick, ive been around high hp cars before but I just want to do a fun driver car and something great to look at since alot of people around where I live at and work at always stop me to check out my car ive had countless offers for people to buy my car and I do take the car to muscle car shows and alot of people generaly stop and stare so I definatly want to give them something to definatly think twice about whats under the hood...

I have rb26 itb's and intake on my rb20 and they're sweet. Had an adapter made up.

But on the z432 replica and rb20 with carbs: go to the rb section. There's a guy who converted to carbs with the intent of doing the exact same setup; z432 replica. Last I heard he was still trying to get it to run right.

I usually see them every now and again on ebay. Just surf regularly. Heck, Ive seen an ultra rare 2wd N/A RB26 on there before.

But those places who knows; Id call up my local reputable shop and see if they can get you one. Should be no problem.

I'd try another shop then. They should go by what you want, rather then change your mind onto something else. Shops can still check out the motor for you too then getting one on ebay. But if your rebuilding the whole motor then I guess that probably wouldn't matter.

It's on Ebay, but:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Nissan-Skyline-RB20DE-RB20-GTS-t-NEO-6-R34-Engine-Motor-180SX-240SX-/330901015422?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0b3ccb7e&vxp=mtr

ORRRRRR (not to pull a shop here. But It's what I'd do. Now that I think about it I really sound like one of those shops you've talked to. Ha) you could do a 25de and put a 20 center cover on so people would think it was a 20 but still get the power of a 2.5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYLINE-GTS-JDM-RB25DE-ENGINE-RB25DE-ENGINE-LONGBLOCK-MOTOR-RB25DE-/251252072873?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7fca61a9&vxp=mtr

check your msg's.  i wasn't sure on the rules for posting particular shops, etc.

As far as the build, I think that is an awesome idea.  I love high HP cars but to really appreciate the original design, drive an N/A version.  I had a couple of 510's, one L20B with Mikunis and the other had a turbo's L28 squeezed in it.  The turbo car was incredibly fast but driving it was a chore.  The N/A car was a dream to drive. Balancing it at its limit and just appreciating the car in its time of design make for an awesome drive.

Some one needs to keep that era alive ;)

Edited by bombsquad

Thats what I want plus when I do drive my Z to and from work its a 26 mile drive one way mostly highway but driving high hp cars just becomes to much some times not saying I wouldnt love 1000hp car in the garage but driving it to the track and what not would definatly be a gas eater thats for sure....lol btw got ur pm definatly going to check emm out

uh, you guys do realize the 432 while advertised as a "160PS" power rating, was easily upgraded with the "Engine Assembly, Premium Fuel"...

The Mechanical Fuel Injection Competition Cams...well...

Let's just say they stopped development at 345HP.

My ONLY lament is they only made 417 total S30's. I wish they made them all in 1971, and then took forever to sell the last 83... JUST so that S20 would be legal for use in SCTA Land Speed Events. Oh that smarmy Honda Sponsored SOB would SOOOO eat his words if I could run an S20 instead of an L20A in competition!

Ever driven/ridden in a 10,000rpm L6? :icon52: I have...

And..."lol btw got ur pm definatly going to check emm out" Word to the wise: beware when playing with fire!

Edited by Tony D

Wow tony d u got alot of info and no I havent drove or felt a l6 with a 10k rpm but im sure I would definatly get a lil scared and yea sorry bout that last part im always open to talking to people about where to get the right parts and who to talk too again sorry I dont mean to step on anyones toes or get anyone angry, so anyways what your saying by trying to build a 432 replica is going to be way more then what im thinking as far as hp numbers are concerned and little fine details???

People just assume the 2liter is not a powerful engine... We made more on our L20A than most make with their strikers lazily loping with a power peak of 5300... At a dismally low compression of 9.5:1, we were making 205 RWHP at 8750rpms, and shifted at 9500 in the higher gears... We went as fast with that setup, out the gate as we did with our L28 when we started (though the L28 only had 217HP at that time...)

Get over the American idea that 4,000 rpm cruise at 70mph is somehow "revving too high", find a 4.38 or 4.44 gear set, and start playing. It IS NOT a small block Chevy. You will twist it to 3,500 before considering WOT (which any L-Engine should be at...but...) and then run it.

My friend Tomoyose had a 432, with a Grand-Slam GTR 2.2 Bore-Up kit, along with the Mechanical FI Cams for competition in his car. I believe he ran 44PHH's instead of the stock 40's as well...

That car would twist the stock 432 tach to the peg... Past 10,000 rpms, and it was his daily driver to work! I can't convey the sound of an S20 or L-Series at that speed...but once you're behind it and hear it unmuffled... You will NEVER forget it!