HybridZ

Thinking about a Duratec V6 in my S30

I know people who race these 3.0 V6s in their Contours. They seem to have an decent aftermarket and they are pretty common. They come 235hp stock and N/S configurations exist except the stock getrag would not last with the power i plan to put to this. Noble built a 450hp version of this engine. There someone online who made an adapter for a t-5 to adapt to the duratec. Personally I would want a stronger trans, maybe at least a t-56 6 speed or a better tremec. What do you guys think??

On the f150 ecoboost, I would want to do that but I am trying for something that will cost a fraction of the cost. If i can attain one for relatively inexpensive I would go for it. thedarkie, I am thinking the exact thing. I would go for RB but I want all aluminum and the compact nature of the V6.

The Mustang BOSS 302 Crate engine is about 10k - puts out 444hp and 380lb ft torque (unmodified). Duragg's 240 kept up with a Mustang Boss 302 the entire time at the track, enough so that the owner came over and hit us up after the race. Its all aluminum design as well. It got the wheels spinning to put that 5.0L 302 into his 240 LOL...

Edited by AZGhost623

A V8 is a cool option but I dont want 2 V8 powered cars. You are talking about the coyote 5.0 V8, Right?? I want mine to be unique, powerful, and awesome handling. I want to drive my L28 for a while, then I want to eventually will do the complete restoration. I plan to chop off the roof and therefore delete the horrible sunroof that was installed years ago and get rid of plenty of bondo and rust.

I really like that choice. Like you said 400+ hp in the noble and light. Quads4rods makes a t5 bell here and I think it's more supported in the UK. There are a few old Lotus Esprits on the web using that engine. I believe Mazda, Ford and Jaguar all used a version of it.

4.6SR,   Sure you could use that engine. A comparable engine is the VQ35DE or HR and/or the VQ37HR out of the respective 350Z and 370Z. Both are available with 6 speed trannies, and both are 280HP+ engines Stock. The VQ37HR is supposed to be rated at 350HP.   These are also aluminium, fuel injected and widely supported. The later VQ's use VVT for both Intake and Exhaust timing.  There's a few writeups on the install to an S30. So you wouldn't be pathfinding.  Check out the V6 forum on here for more info. 

That being said, I'd love to see another V6 engine ported to the S30 platform. if the Duratec V6 is easilly managed it might be a good swap solution.  I'd imagine some of the same methods for mounting may work for both V6's.  Do you know what transmissions are availible with the Duratec without having to use adapter plates?

Yeah I thought  of the VQ engines or the VGs but  again I want to be more unique. Yeah I will pay when it comes to time and money (in a way) for fabrication but i think it would have good results. Yeah there is a Getrag 5 Speed manual that comes on these but they are not strong enough to last on the Jag V8 that came in the Lincolns therefore the torque produced by a modified Duratec will destroy one of these. I Am thinking of adapting a t-56 to it and there is somebody online that adapted a t-5 to theirs so i dont think it could be too different.

http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=18&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

Here is a T-5 adapter, thanks Scorob! I will have to look around some more and find an even larger aftermarket. I have done some research and found some but this one. This is a big deal so i will make the job quite a bit easier. I have a t-5 already but i think it is from a S10 Blazer. if anyone knows where i can find rebuild kits which will make it handle more torque that would be awesome!

You may want to try looking around on some of the locost forums. Just remember there are the old Duratec V6s and the  new Ford Duratec/Mazda MZR 4 cylinder engines. And to add to the confusion I think in the UK some Zetecs may have been called Duratecs.

Yeah I have noticed that about the Zetec/duratec naming. And I am quite familiar with the duratec 4 which i want to install into my focus. I drove an Escape with a 2.3 in it and it had good get up and go, I can only imagine it in the focus. That one in particular is a pipe dream for the fact that I wont likely get to that car before I get a newer focus.

I am curious if the 3.5 duratec shares the similar bellhousing bolt pattern and pilot bearing size and other dimensions. I was told it was different. Looks like I have a great deal to research.