HybridZ

Question-what transmission with turbo?

Guest mblazek

Guest mblazek

So, here's the deal-My current Z is a '75 coupe, and I've recently become the proud owner

of an '81 ZXT. The turbo car runs good but the body and interior are toast. Needless to say,

the turbo engine is getting ready to take a short trip. Now, both cars have automatics in

them, but I was just about to convert the 75 to a 5 speed, and have all the needed pieces.

I'll be running stock boost levels at least until I do something with an intercooler/engine

managment. I figure as long as I have a suitable clutch and don't hammer it TOO hard, I

should be OK with the 5 speed (77 vintage, but fresh bearings and blocking rings) or should

stick with the auto?

Mike

I happen to be running a T5 behind my turbo motor, but I know lots of folks running the regular Nissan trannies with turbo motors at high boost levels that report no problems. In fact, the T5 is not highly regarded for it's shift feel, and they prefer the Nissan.

I have heard what SleeprZ is saying as well. BUT, in small block chevy land, a T5 is consider a sweet, smooth shifting tranny. I have a '79 ZX 5 speed in my 240 and except for the overdrive, I prefer the 4 speed for drivability. The T5 has MUCH better gear ratios in my opinion with a lower first gear and more overdrive than any of the Nissan 5 speeds. I will run said T5 as soon as I find one...

Guest mblazek

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I feel pretty confident about going with the Z transmission.

The T5 would be cool, but they're pretty scarce around here, not to mention the investment

I already have in the first one. I really can't go with an automatic now-I've already changed

the pedals, and there's NO way I'm going through that again!

• 2 weeks later...

i run a 82 zx na datsun trans behind my 81 zxt engine in my 77.the 82 or 83 trans had best ratios for my uses-close 1st to 4th and better 5th.a t5 shifts like a truck compared to a nissan trans.i use my car for driver schools at sears point and thunderhill so i need close ratios.if i beef up the turbo engine much i have a t5 zxt bellhousing i will put a world class t5 behind.

Randy, How do you pull that off? Does the Datsun T5 use the same input length as a Ford or Chevy V8 T5? Do they have the same bearing retainer? The shifter is further back on the American car T5 than the Z aren't they? Trans mounts since the Camaro trans is tilted 17 deg? Obviously driveshaft yoke. I have 3 Camaro T5s and if all I needed was a bellhousing and a clutch disc. That would be too easy, sounds too good to be true...