HybridZ

JCI fittings

CrayZ

JCI can stand up to 3,000lbs + of hydraulic pressure on commercial construction equipment.. Not sure how much more abuse you can get. The frac outfitter my company uses, uses only JCI on the frac trucks. Those frac trucks regularly vibrate lug nuts off of the 18 wheelers and they are parked 90% of the time. JCI fittings are 10times stronger than any AN fitting.. Besides weight why not run them?

A/N aluminium fittings routinely withstand 2X that in military aircraft.

If you've convinced yourself, why ask?

This has been covered before, search.

John Coffey posted the specs and differences already.

Edited by Tony D

I was not asking what they are capable of handling, I'm well aware of it. Your previous post insinuated that JCI fittings where some way inferior to AN becuase of their inability to withstand vibration? Maybe i should have been more clear as to avoid peoples opinons on the two fittings. I am seeking photo documentation of other fuel systems using JCI fittings, that is all.

Edited by CrayZ

"Your previous post insinuated that JCI fittings where some way inferior to AN becuase of their inability to withstand vibration?"

No, I stated an engineering FACT, which I gave a passing reference to, and which I won't dig up again since you are convinced of the answer.

It's your car, do what he hell you want. Don't call documented engineering and design differences "opinion", though.

It's JIC, not JCI. They are physically identical, but are held to slightly lower thread tolerances and are made of plated steel or stainless steel depending. AN fittings have tighter thread tolerances, and are made of anodized aluminum.

That's the only differences as explained to me by the local Parker Hydraulic distributor.

That and JIC fittings are not HORRIBLY expensive, like AN fittings...nor are they anodized in garish red and blue.

That said...anyone who did the job in AN fittings has already documented this for you. They just spent more money and their fuel lines don't weigh as much as yours will.

Edited by Xnke

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, but the reason AN fittings are different is the material. There would not have been a need to modify the root of the thread form if it want for aluminum's propensity for fatigue stress cracking at stress risers like threads.

If the root reason was because the JIC thread form and tolerances were just not good enough...then the JIC standard would probably just have been superceded.

According to Parker, who has made them for decades, the JIC standard was first, although it wasn't called JIC at the time. AN fittings were modified from the original 37* hydraulic single-flare standard to withstand heavy vibration without the fatigue strength deterioration when made in aluminum. The fittings made from steel and other alloys didn't show this problem...but since the modified threadform to allow aluminum to hold up in this service also provided increases strength in the other materials, the AN standard doesn't specify that they don't have to use the modified thread. It DOES specify that AN fittings are to be made from very specific alloys of aluminum and very specific thread forms and classes of fits. I am reading the spec now...and an AN fittings MUST be made from 7075 or 7071 series aluminum, as of the 1987 update to MS33656-J.

Currently, AN fittings are defined by SAE-AS4395. I don't have a copy of that standard handy at the moment.

There is a reason AN fittings are universally used in hot rodding...but it isn't for strength or suitability...It's because after WWII, they were dirt cheap and EVERYONE used them. Now, they're the standard that "everyone's used forever, so we (racing organizations) might as well require them now!"

Edited by Xnke

"and an AN fittings MUST be made from 7075 or 7071 series aluminum, as of the 1987 update to MS33656-J."

Stress characteristics of 7075 to the steels used currently...

You're getting there!

And yes, A/N was the improvement from former SAE the JIC standard didn't exist until much later.

Were Mitsubishi Zeros using JIS/JIC or A/N 37 Spec?

Earls fittings was fouded in SoCal on WWII Aircraft Surplus. Since most competition vehicles exhibit both high vibration AND a demand for efficency in mass packaging, A/N found their way into racing. F1 used A/N Not because it was cheap, they used it because it worked and maintained light weight.

Sherman Tanks used SAE 45's on most hydraulics. Nice, heavy steel and less prone to melt in the inevitable Panzer-Hit inspired flash fire.

SAE/JIC stuff is great for building tanks, but generally with the strength afforded the A/N, it gets the nod. With plenty of aftermarket manufacturers making less expensive hose systems, A/N is not expensive. It may not be TRUE A/N as it doesn't meet MS, but other than some hose connection methods, the joint and threads conform.

• 4 weeks later...

"Your previous post insinuated that JCI fittings where some way inferior to AN becuase of their inability to withstand vibration?"

No, I stated an engineering FACT, which I gave a passing reference to, and which I won't dig up again since you are convinced of the answer.

It's your car, do what he hell you want. Don't call documented engineering and design differences "opinion", though.

Documented engineering and design?? please provide a source stating that A/N fittings can withstand FAR greater vibration and abuse as you claim.. Remember now it has to be engineering documentation.

Edited by CrayZ

It's JIC, not JCI. They are physically identical, but are held to slightly lower thread tolerances and are made of plated steel or stainless steel depending. AN fittings have tighter thread tolerances, and are made of anodized aluminum.

That's the only differences as explained to me by the local Parker Hydraulic distributor.

That and JIC fittings are not HORRIBLY expensive, like AN fittings...nor are they anodized in garish red and blue.

That said...anyone who did the job in AN fittings has already documented this for you. They just spent more money and their fuel lines don't weigh as much as yours will.

Thank you for the spelling correction. Again i am aware of the differences between the two i just wanted to see fuel system setups with JIC fittings. I could'nt find any when i was searching.

I got my AN fittings from Speedwaymotors.com.  They are lots cheaper than anywhere else I could find.  Used the push-on high pressure rubber hose.  2 years, no problems.  Plan to cut your lines about 1/4" longer than your measured needs-when the hose swells to go over the barbs, you lose some length, and you can't get this stuff back apart once assembled.

I got my AN fittings from Speedwaymotors.com.  They are lots cheaper than anywhere else I could find.  Used the push-on high pressure rubber hose.  2 years, no problems.  Plan to cut your lines about 1/4" longer than your measured needs-when the hose swells to go over the barbs, you lose some length, and you can't get this stuff back apart once assembled.

I ended up going with A/N fittings becuase of availability of the odd ball parts I needed and the ability to make adjustments on the fly from home. When I built my diesel race truck a couple years back I used push lock fittings with Parker hoses. It's been about 3 years and everything works great still. I think a fuel system utilizing JIC related equipment would be the best route to go for simple systems.