HybridZ

Turbo Drag Race Cam suggestions

skirkland1980

If your turbo doesn't make full boost until 3500 rpm+  then that is a sign of a free flowing turbine.  Which means that turbo can handle some valve overlap and would work well with a cam with around 270 degrees of duration on both the intake and exhaust. 

If your turbo doesn't make full boost until 3500 rpm+  then that is a sign of a free flowing turbine.  Which means that turbo can handle some valve overlap and would work well with a cam with around 270 degrees of duration on both the intake and exhaust. 

Great! That's exactly what I have ordered.

What you really need is a new intake manifold with runners that have a diameter of at least 36mm. You can change the cam & turbo, that will give you more power, but it won't extend your powerband at the top end unless you have an intake manifold with adaquate runners. A 270 cam with 36mm runners should peak right around 6500rpm on an l28.

The stock n42 intake manifold has runners of about 31.75-32mm(you can't really even say they're that size unless the casting from the injector screws is taken out), equal to 1 1/4in, so either your manifold has been ported or your measuring is a little rough. The late model, 82-83 turbo, intakes are 32.75-33mm. There's a lot of information about the intakes on this site. The simplest route to resolve this issue, if you have the money, is to purchase one from Lonewolf perfomance. I think their basic model starts at 35mm, but they will make them how you want. Or they will port the stock intake, the full length of the runner, but I don't think they have enough material in them to make the runners any bigger than 34mm.

JeffP's runners are the FIA homogolated size, -1mm (34mm)

His head has 35mm ports that flow 218cfm, the 34mm extrude-ported runners lose 30cfm over a match-ported Cannon Manifold.

But it does have apt hat anti-reversionary step at the head to help with overlap reversion.

700HP+ on C16. More possible so he's looking at the Group Buy Manifold being done now as he wants to retain the stock runners (shortened) for now...

Edited by Tony D

JeffP's runners are the FIA homogolated size, -1mm (34mm)

His head has 35mm ports that flow 218cfm, the 34mm extrude-ported runners lose 30cfm over a match-ported Cannon Manifold.

But it does have apt hat anti-reversionary step at the head to help with overlap reversion.

700HP+ on C16. More possible so he's looking at the Group Buy Manifold being done now as he wants to retain the stock runners (shortened) for now...

Hi Tony,

Do you know where I could find a dyno plot of Jeffp's engine? I searched around a bit, but the posts were circa 2007ish & the photos were gone...

Yeah, those were before I had my "Every Time You Talk To Me, It Costs Me $2,000!" talk with Jeff and he started making real power. Actually right now, running on a STOCK L28ET BOTTOM END he's exceeded those numbers from the Rebello 3.0 Stroker that are posted on his website. The Rebello sits pickled in the corner of the garage until he hammers out his EFI Issues. He stopped posting a lot of that stuff, just too much B.S. Benchracer wanker background noise to deal with...

We continued testing like before the internet existed.

What do you plan to gain from viewing the dyno plot? "Is it a peaky engine?" No, the car makes 2-3 PSI at any point in the RPM range when going WOT, and Full Boost occurs like clockwork at 3200, the came comes on around 4,000 and pulls to over 7500... It accelerates with me in it as ballast (tire slippage) from 70-120 in around 4.5 seconds...then you shift to 4th.

Extrude-Honed Stock L28ET Manifold, on Gerolamy Worked Head (head match ported to dowelled Cannon 45mm Triple Manifold), and Isky Cam.

He GREATLY laments not listening to me and making a full-rpm 8psi of boost run to redline to see where the power peak of the engine really happened. The GT35R is OUT of air at this point, and unless he upgrades, or puts a forged bottom end back into it to make a full RPM run we can't extrapolate the actual potential of the setup. The one pull I did note at 8.39psi he was making 380 ft-lbs of torque at 4500 rpms. I got videos of these pulls someplace. And of the later pulls in the engine dyno test cell when we were doing oil temperature stability testing. But no time to post, nor any real inclination to do so... Just my memories of what we did while in active development. Life has intervened for both of us, and we are both on hiatus right now  from developing it fully.

Yea I remember the earlier days of the build(almost 15yrs ago if i remember correctly), posted on the internet (zcar.com). I had forgotten about his web site over the years though, which I found today. In reading it again I remember reading it before. It was the first well known, privately built, high hp l28et that I remember.

It is kind of disappointing that there's not a full plot of the engine. Especially since it is so well documented & well done. Mostly I was curious about the affect of the intake on the powerband, as I'm currently working on a 34mm turbo intake for my NA l28.

Honestly, I'm not extensively versed in turbo tech, but the amount of power being made with 8psi sounds like the turbo is pretty well suited. But, I do know that it's probably more suited to a 2 liter engine for high hp levels.

I bet you two have had a lot of fun over the years working on it & talking about it. Hopefully you will both be able to return to all of that soon, & get to record the true capabilities of it.

Well haha! I've come to a conclusion about the N42 intake manifold. It's junk! I made a big hole just trying to reach 1 5/16 on the plenum end. Such crap! It's back to my steel intake. I started another thread about Delta cams. This is my first time using them and I'm not impressed at all. They sent me a stock regrind whereas I should have had .450" 272 duration.

You could also measure the intake and exhaust manifolds pressures during a pull and see how likely reversion is.

Edited by BLOZ UP