HybridZ

280 to 240 swap...

Hey guys, I found a '71 shell for a decent price, and being in the People's Republic of California, my '77 has to pass smog...

I know the 240 tub has a LOT of things different with my '77 280: Taillights, doors, dash, fuse box and wiring harness, suspension, and the hood and hatch. Would it be worthwhile to transplant what I can from the 280 (which has shot frame rails, and creaks like crazy, holy body flex!) to a 240? Thanks!

KFD

This is what I have swapped over to mine: 

Engine, trans, driveline, diff, mustache bar, diff front mount bar, curved tranverse link, halfshafts, stubaxles, overflow bottle, soft brake lines, hood,fenders. 

Need 240z housings to make the following work

tachometer, speedo, oil/pressure gauge, Voltmeter/fuel gauge. 

You can use the 280 strut tubes if you intend to section them for different struts.. Check out Beta Motorsports if you intend on doing that. 

In the S30 section there is a listing of what items changed with what years of production on our cars. 

Edited by rejracer

If your 280z has rst enough to make you want to swap, then yes it's worth it. For the swap parts, everything rejracer said.

Personally I'd take all that stuff off, swap in the block and keep it carbed, and stick a 4.11 r180 in the rear. Then sell everything else from the 280z.

Thanks fellas. I have the 280z up for sale now on Craigslist, it's got it's problems, I leave at the end of next month for deployment, and Mama told me I need to get a car with an automatic and a back seat. I have that, it's called my Celica, also on Craigslist now... I am weighing my options, but an automatic transmission and a backseat isn't one!

Rejracer, I will check the S30 section out...