HybridZ

Interesting sway bar setup on a 70's racer...

in the late 70's both my father and uncle purchased their Z's. My uncle's is a 73 with a g nose and flares, he purchased it from a prominent local scca racer.

null_zps2a857c39.jpg

I recently put it on the lift at my shop as we needed to replace the clutch hydraulics. Found this rather... interesting sway bar setup. No bushings front or rear, steel "brackets" welded onto the frame rail up front, and in the rear the sway bar mounts to a threaded rod, the sway bar goes above the control arm/axle as opposed to between them. I also took photos of my dad's setup (aftermarket sways but normal mounting) for contrast.

uncle's front:

null_zps4d0ff5e5.jpg

dad's front:

null_zpsa7b31362.jpg

uncle's rear:

null_zpsc50237fe.jpg

null_zpsa1f3e673.jpg

null_zpsbfa69e6b.jpg

Dad's rear:

null_zpsf2c3179c.jpg

null_zpsdb698faf.jpg

the travel of the sway caused the mount for the brake line to come loose, and even wore a hole in the chassis:

null_zps4d57b528.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle recently told me the hard lines were intentionally removed, citing easier changing of the rear struts. Interesting, but seemingly unsafe.

I was hoping to convince him to go with a more traditional sway bar setup, as the hole in the rear chassis should be inspiration for change.

I wonder if he can use the same sways with stock mounts and bushings, or will have to get another set of sways

Have the same aluninum blocks for the rear mount of my sway bar, just dont have the rest of that hack set-up. Found the adjustability of that rear bar interesting though. Found my rear bar set-up at a wrecking yard, seems to work good though!

null_zpsa1f3e673.jpg

Edited by rjracin240

• 2 weeks later...