HybridZ

Finally got started

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did grab a 10# fire extinguisher before my maiden voyage! I had to fight the urge to stop and pop the hood and hose it down when that brake fluid really started cooking.

I am going to trim and roll the front valance a little tonight to fit my tires and try to isolate some of the cabin rattles so I can listen to the driveline. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Keith, I think your first answer is the best. I don't think I can register the car until I have unimportant stuff like lights, horn, turn signals, etc so any shake down runs will be outside the law.

Matt I only ran about a mile so far. I was hyper sensitive so any road or rock noise was a sure sign of complete drivetrain failure! Ill put a few miles on it tomorrow hopefully my adrenaline won't be at 120%!

The car wasn't registered before? Wow, mine was already a registered, tagged, street legal (well mostly) car. That complicates things. I guess you still have a ways to go. Dude, your drivetrain will be fine. Just keep focused. All you need to do before getting the peripherals done is make sure nothing is leaking so it won't catch on fire. Congrats!

Yeah this car sat in a field for a few years before the guy I got it from picked it up. No engine, dry rotted tires a mouse I had to evict the whole 9 yards. I had never even ridden in in a Z until a week or so ago (thanks Madkaw!). I still have some body work on the front end, clean up the wiring, repair/replace heater core and valve and interior installation yet to do. I bought this car at the end of october last year and have been working out of town for half of that time so I feel pretty good about my progress. I wanted to be roadworthy by the end of october this year. Unfortunately I have to go to Hawaii from the second week of october till the end of november, I may have to adjust my definition of roadworthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah this car sat in a field for a few years before the guy I got it from picked it up. No engine, dry rotted tires a mouse I had to evict the whole 9 yards. I had never even ridden in in a Z until a week or so ago (thanks Madkaw!). I still have some body work on the front end, clean up the wiring, repair/replace heater core and valve and interior installation yet to do. I bought this car at the end of october last year and have been working out of town for half of that time so I feel pretty good about my progress. I wanted to be roadworthy by the end of october this year. Unfortunately I have to go to Hawaii from the second week of october till the end of november, I may have to adjust my definition of roadworthy.

Glad to give you your first ride in a Z. Like I said, just add about 50% HP to my HP and that's where you'll be:)

Sorry about your bad luck having to go to Hawaii-I really feel for you.

I'll be in franklin Monday to pick up a 280zx motor some guy is selling---more power!! Let me know if your still in town.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

2.8 was all there and clean. Dumb ass took the cam bolt out for some reason so when I turned the motor over for a compression test - yep, the sprocket fell off . Cylinders looked great!!

I'll have to come up an see the project when you start cracking at it again

Edited by madkaw

• 1 month later...

Back on the wrenchin'!

Have been doing some misc sorting and details during this wonderful Indiana winter.

Removed a nice looking mouse home from my blower motor, anyone have a source for the fan cage in the blower?

Replaced the heater core and attempted to repair the cable operated heater valve. Fixed one leak in the valve and created a smaller one, I will probably just pick up an early '70s Bronco heater valve and mod as needed...

Pulled the dash to try to repair and to install gauges, that really felt like I was moving backward...I'm not real happy with the tach light color variation, email sent to Autometer..

Knocked out some headers for my buddys 3rd gen Camaro swap

Cut out the rust and patched the lower front fender. Someone left me a vintage sunkist can in the cowl area, that 5 cent deposit is going straight back to the car fund!

Dropped the front end one inch to get it looking right, the back will follow soon as soon as I get the nerve up to start the steel widebody attempt...

post-33376-0-43052900-1390313507_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-94259900-1390313609_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-66656800-1390313630_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-74837300-1390313773_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-45103600-1390313930_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-50166200-1390314006_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-37846000-1390314124_thumb.jpg