HybridZ

Air Induction and Power Loss

Interesting input, peej410....can you elaborate?  I was not aware of any negative influences of the filter top on carbed intakes -- do you have any reference material or data to share?  I would be very interested to learn more on this, as I was considering a similar filter top for my intake if Mike had favorable results with his new setup.

Thx much!

It is really hard to comprehend why practical solutions are IGNORED.  I managed to fit the 4 inch spectre elbow/hat (NOT the low profile unit) under the hood and was able to close same.  The area of the 4 inch elbow is greater, for air flow, than the throttle plates in the Accufab throttle body.

Interesting input, peej410....can you elaborate?  I was not aware of any negative influences of the filter top on carbed intakes -- do you have any reference material or data to share?  I would be very interested to learn more on this, as I was considering a similar filter top for my intake if Mike had favorable results with his new setup.

Thx much!

I swore to myself that I read it in one of the Vizard books but right now I cannot find it. Until I have some verifiable proof above and beyond internet here-say I will have to rescind my comment!

If i do recall correctly though, It was preferred for the carb to siphon air radially because of the venturi inlets. When using a drop base air housing and a short filter were the only times it benefitted. Using the correctly sized air cleaner for your drop base made more power. 

7993097114_cc0c16d53e.jpg
Untitled by peej410, on Flickr  
This was my original setup. There was less than an inch to the aircleaner lid. 

7992354883_38ce6acff9.jpg
pjhptqaf by peej410, on Flickr
This was the dyno curve. Notice HP flatlines at 5300 or so while air fuel shows slightly leaner (this was un-tuned) 

8113250865_9fcffcfe24.jpg
Untitled by peej410, on Flickr
I modified (heavily) and lowered the base and flattened the top for hood clearance. The four inch element should help a lot. Though I decided to build headers between the last dyno and future dyno runs so I cannot compare directly, but I will surely swap the 4" for the 3" I used to have to see what it does. 

It is really hard to comprehend why practical solutions are IGNORED.  I managed to fit the 4 inch spectre elbow/hat (NOT the low profile unit) under the hood and was able to close same.  The area of the 4 inch elbow is greater, for air flow, than the throttle plates in the Accufab throttle body.

The area is not the only aspect of what matters. Shape usually effects flow disproportionately to area. This is one of the reasons why you cant just hog out cylinder heads and expect to make tons of power. 

peej401:  Agree area is not the only aspect.  Shape also has a lot to do with airflow.  With the Spectre 4 inch 90 degree elbow/hat the air into the throttle body has to turn 90 degrees.  This is likely the worst restriction in the intake air system.  The other is the throttle body.  Another is that after the throttle body the air in the intake manifold has to make another 90 degree turn to get to the intake ports.  Have also considered going to a 102mm LSx throttle body.  No matter, the air flow still has to take a 90 degree turn to get into the throttle body.  Have also considered Edelbrock tunnel ram single log at top of same from smaller area LSx throttle body.  STILL there need to be at least TWO 90 degree turns in the intake air system.

Question for YOU, which datalogging system are you using that shows up in the photo in your post?  I think it is the AEM data acquisition system.  How do you like the data acquisition system?  Comments please.  Thanks

RSIcard, It's REALLY hard to get the hood clearance when your intake manifold and your mounting for your engine is different from others.  I personally find your comment above a little offensive given THOSE factors.  The F'n hood hit on the F'n 4 inch elbow and forced my carbon hood to flex, not to mention it didn't do a damned thing for those nice hood vents I installed.

I appreciate your input, but sometimes you don't account for all the factors when sharing your wisdom. 

Mike

Yea, I'm getting to the point that I'm not sure it's worth sharing experiences if they're going to be continually challenged.  I don't see large numbers of people stepping up to do such testing and then share the data.  Kinda like the last round of motor oiling issues and a specific member swore that "leak down numbers" would "prove" the motor was built incorrectly. 

It's like a certain other member I blocked recently.  I don't see him running out and organizing a windtunnel test.  No, instead he would prefer to challenge those who are willing to fund and conduct the tests, and almost demand that we test things we collectively find no value in.  But because they are the smartest person in the room, we get to suffer through their nonsense?  No.  I'm to the point that if I conduct a wind tunnel test now, I may well NOT publish the data because quite honestly I don't feel its contributions would be appreciated.  Is that sad or what?  A few do indeed ruin it for the many.

I've been coming here since the beginning.  And I like to learn, and share as well.  But when it becomes work, I will pack up my toys and go elsewhere.  And yea, that sounds kindof self important, but I don't see other folks sharing the info.  And you will notice I have NOT posted my dyno sheets.  Not even going to go there because I know some will not understand the data, yet well challenge every aspect of the information because they "think" they come from a superior position of knowledge.

Why every post has to be challenged by some is beyond me.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Mike:

I apologize if I have offended you.  I thought this was where we share ideas.  I try to keep emotions out of the discussions.  I used JTR kit for mounting the SBC Stroker 383.  Used the JTR fabbed transmission mount for the rear of a T56 transmission.  That transmission has proven to be the EXPENSIVE way to go.  Never envisioned this project costing so much but it is my hobby and I really like it as such. 

Which is all fine and good. But when you don't take all the components into account that impact each individual project, you get issues like this. I have been a participant of four JTR builds and all of them have been vastly different. I can assure you that the hood on my car will not fit flush with the larger SPEcTRe carb hat. I am also using the complete JTR kit for this motor/transmission combo. Why it is hitting? Has to be the intake manifold height. But saying Practical solutions are being ignored is completely incorrect.

Mike

It must be the intake manifold that is TALL.  I have a Holley port injection manifold.  The only way the tall spectre carb hot fits under my hood is if it is pointed to the 4:00 position.  At this position its is very close but still fits under the hood.  Had to fab brackets for the Electromotive TEC3 ignition coils around the throttle body.  Two in front and two in rear of TB.

Mine is hitting at the tall point of the hat at the back of the unit.  You can see in thru the hood vents with a flashlight and a mirror on a wand.  Sux.  That said, the power loss didn't help much either.

Mike