HybridZ

Wanted Instrument Light Dimmer

tooquick260

Pretty sure the 240 and 260/280 dimmers are quite different in how they mount in the dash, and are not interchangable. If you can post a picture of the one you currently have, it will help finding the right one for you. You have a 260 yes?  Have to look tonight, but I think I have one.

Edited by z240

Pretty sure the 240 and 260/280 dimmers are quite different in how they mount in the dash, and are not interchangable. If you can post a picture of the one you currently have, it will help finding the right one for you. You have a 260 yes?  Have to look tonight, but I think I have one.

Yes I have a 260z

Thanks I will take a pic tonight and see!

Well, I found the dimmer. Bad news, its fritz'ed too.

Good news, I took it apart to find out why and its really obvious. The ends of the resistor coil are melted off the point where they go under the tiny bolts that connect them to the wiring harness.

post-2004-0-90030300-1372904594_thumb.jpg

Good new is this is likely repairable. The entire switch comes apart easily. Take yours apart and find out if the problem is same. Maybe its just dirty contacts.

To reconnect the ends of those coils, which are embedded in ceramic, will take a bit of creative digging and stuffing new wires under the existing coils, or maybe they can be soldered to.

If you can't get yours working, then I'll fix mine and you're welcome to it.

Edited by z240