HybridZ

280zx r 200?

3ryce

Ok sorry for this. I'm on my phone at a jy. I'm working on a 280zx Manuel. It has the rear diff but I'm not sure how to tell if its the r200 or if its worth getting to swap into my 240z. Is it c or v lsd?

What year ZX and is it a coupe or 2+2?

None of the factory 280ZX's had LSD's.  And the R180's have a ring of 5 bolts around the the side shaft holes.  The RR200's don't.

If it is an R200, you'll still need a mustache bar to swap it in to your 240Z.  The ZX's don't use one.  The 280ZX R200 might be a 3.9 gear though, which you might want if you're also using an 80-83 280ZX 5 speed.  But it could also be 3.54 or 3.7.

It's probably an R200 with 3.54 gears, in a 2+2 or turbo 1982 S130.  I got one of those with the CV's from a guy who swapped in a CLSD.  Pretty sure that the turbos and the 2+2's got CV's, and the coupe NA's with manual trans got u-joint halfshafts with 3.9 gears.

R200's have a rectangular chunk of metal projecting from underneath the fill plug, and the bottom of the cover is rounded.  R180's are square looking and don't have the projection.

If there are other Z's in the yard, you could take a look and compare.  Most, maybe all, 75-78 280Z's have R200's.

Edited by NewZed

No it was the only one. Ill have to go back after friday with my paycheck, don't think I have enough for it today. Back at home now. Thanks for the replys guys! I dont think it was a 2+2 and couldnt tell if it was a turbo, there was a little plastic turbo looking thing but it didnt look like it was turboed. anyways from the sounds of it I should just keep my eye out for a z31 and grab one of their r200's.