HybridZ

Been holding out on you guys :-)

Mike, a few things to consider...

• are you using platinum tipped plugs?  If so try throwing in a set of copper plugs to see if it makes a difference.  We had issues on the TTZR1(LT5) running the stock platinum's at low boost. 
  • you may want to try a 0.020" gap just to eliminate it being a spark issue. 
  • I tried adopting late model ZR1 coils on my EVO and I could never get them to work as they broke up under boost with the Haltech.  Ended up ditching them for a set Bosch P100-t coils and have no issue(could have a bad coil)
  • push comes to shove, you need the ability to log individual cylinder EGTs to see what is happening.  One bad cylinder will cause the car to breakup and will drop cylinder EGTs by 300F.  I log this stuff on my car and you can see below how a misfire will show up on log as seen below(red).  White line is turbo shaft speed.

EGTbaseline1.jpg

Thanks James, always good to hear from you :-)

I have the exact same type coils and EMS that Scottie is running with no issues whatsoever with spark.

I am running NGK BKR7EF plugs, and regapped them today to .020

Although I am not setup to read EGT's, I do not see any significant differences when reading the plugs...

All that being said, I swapped valve springs this weekend, and immedaitely noticed a more crisp throttle response. It is difficult to tell from the butt dyno, but it definately feels stronger, and really did not feel the drop in performance I was feeling before. That being said, I only had a few minutes this morning to take the car for a test drive, datalog, and do a few hits. Controlling the wheelsping is difficult and it is almost impossible to stay in the throttle in first or second and with the 2.94 gears, third is unattainable on the backroads. Being the end of November, my opportunities to test the car at the track are limited, but hear that it may be open for the last time next weekend.

Gotta say, I am feeling optomistic about it though. Thanks to all that have responded... I appreciate it :-)

Mike

Edited by Z-Gad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for checking in :-)

Just waiting for the spring thaw...

Construction of a 30x40 3-bay garage/workshop is taking up my time now...too many cars, not enough bays ... LOL

Did have it out a bit last week when the temps rose into the mid 40's (car doesn't have heat)...seems to be all good, but at 10 psi of boost, the street tires are useless in any gear for more than 1/4 throttle. 

Mike

Thanks for checking in :-)

Just waiting for the spring thaw...

Construction of a 30x40 3-bay garage/workshop is taking up my time now...too many cars, not enough bays ... LOL

Did have it out a bit last week when the temps rose into the mid 40's (car doesn't have heat)...seems to be all good, but at 10 psi of boost, the street tires are useless in any gear for more than 1/4 throttle. 

Mike

I'm jealous. I just finished the heat in my 27x33 garage, and I wish It was bigger! With taller ceilings to put in a lift! Previous owners were so inconsiderate.....

I'm jealous. I just finished the heat in my 27x33 garage, and I wish It was bigger! With taller ceilings to put in a lift! Previous owners were so inconsiderate.....

LOL

I have 10' ceilings, except that I had trusses made to vault up from 10' to 12' in 1/3 of the garage to accomodate a lift, not to mention the additional 12" of concrete where the posts will go :wink:

I sold my 02 911 C4S last year to build it... already exhausted that money <sigh>

I keep telling myself it'll be worth it next winter when I have more room to work...

Edited by Z-Gad

Sorry guys, my barn has 7 bays and one is an RV with a 20' ceiling and two bays are heated. Total square footage is about 3,000 sq.ft. :-)

Anyone tried the E3 plugs?  I put a set in mine last June.  Butt dyno says it's a bit stronger but it may be wishful thinking. 

Edited by Phantom

You could always let your car winter at S30 Motorsports and just fly down to drive it every so often. I am sure you have extra flight miles...... Clark won't mess with it too much.

Thanks for the offer Tom :-)

Funny, that wasn't the first offer i have had from friends to allow me to "store" my car at their place LOL

I've gotta give Clark a call and do some catching up...

Mike

• 1 month later...

Well, a nice 60* Saturday allowed me to bring the car out for some test passes at Mason/Dixon Dragway.

I get to the track, tech in, and go to hook up the laptop to get some datalogging data from my runs, and the laptop will not communicate with the MegaSquirt ECU! It says Java is not installed on the computer...I havent accessed the MegaSquirt software in months, but I just can't understand how Java could just disappear from my computer...

After nearly an hour of screwing with the computer, I took it out of the car and threw it off to the side in frustration. It always has to be something doesn't it...

So I figured I would go ahead and make a few test runs on the safe, pump gas, street tune that was in the car at wastegate pressure of 9-10 psi, even though I could not datalog (to see what the air/fuel, timing, rpm, etc was doing), nor make ANY changes to tune the car.

I made 4 runs, and all were nearly the same...

Best pass leaving off the footbrake (no transbrake installed)

60'  ... 1.572

330 ... 4.489

1/8  ... 6.924

MPH .. 100.81

1000 .. 9.032

1/4  ... 10.82

MPH .. 126.33

Although I was not overly excited about the numbers the car ran (was spoiled by the 2JZ), it pulled smoothly through the RPM range and did not break-up nor hesitate (best part of the day). I saw a/f ratios on the wideband gauge between 11.2 and 11.4 (still a little rich, but safe).

More to come as the weather improves ...

Edited by Z-Gad

Have not taken it to the dyno...I have had success in the past, just tuning the car at the track... Unfortunately for me this time, the laptop was not cooperating and no WIFI was available. I could not re-download the Java software at the track, and MS Tunerstudio would not work without it. Since I could not access the software, I had no idea what the car was doing and could not make any adjustments... <sigh>

Cam is a little different than most guys use...Though specs are not far off from the usual LS1 turbo cams  

224/232 .590/.590 @114

TU1 225 225 .581 .581 113
TU2 236 236 .587 .587 112.5

I came home, brought the laptop inside, re-downloaded Java, and everything works again. I should've checked it before I left, but have never had anything like that happen before...stupid computers...

• 4 months later...

Yep, car and I are still alive :-)

Went to the track again yesterday...

Best pass was as follows...

60'    ...   1.599

330   ...   4.159

1/8    ...   6.255

MPH ...   117.06

1000 ...   8.064

1/4    ...   9.595

MPH ...   147.02

Made 6 runs, all in the 9's (9.968, 9.940, 9.648, 9.595, 9.772, 9.748), ... I guess the 9.9x runs were within what the track officials would allow, but after the 9.6 pass, they came to have a discussion with me. I was upfront with them and explained that I did not renew my competition license a couple years ago, as the car was not performing to where I need it. Now that it is improving, I am going for my next physical for work next month and will do the drivers physical at the same time and renew my license. They checked all my safety equipment and allowed me to continue for the day (was just a test-n-tune day anyway).

All runs were made on pump/race mix. I was running 18-19 psi of boost (still kind of high in my mind for the power the car is making, but engine is built for 25+, so I am still far from maxed out and it felt strong).

Intake temps were into the 200+ degree range, so I really need to get the meth kit hooked up to bring that down.

Overall, the car performed great for the day, no hiccups, and received lots of praise and attention.

A couple of guys there remembered it from when I had the 2JZ in it...

Mike

Is it just me or does the mph seem close to the old time that was almost 7/10 quicker?

Well, that 60' is pretty lazy. He'd be in the low low 9's if it was down where I'd expect it. Is this all off the foot brake? Are you leaving in boost?

What kind of AFR's and timing are you running?