HybridZ

Quaife QDF7L R200 - Missing Part ?

ericbauer

Hi all

I got a Quaife QDF7L for my long nose R200 rear diff in my 240Z

According to the net it works in 280ZX / Z31 300ZX with both 10mm and 12mm ring gear bolts.

It also works on shortnose R200 for S13/14

I don't have the earlier bolt-in halfshafts.

I have the later style snap-in (circlip) half-shafts.

While it's difficult to photograph, I managed to snap these two pics of the inside of the diff:

diffA.JPG

diffB.JPG

You can see the groove in the Quaife where I'm guessing the circlip is supposed to retain the half-shaft.

You can also see that there is no apparent threads in the diff for the early style bolt-in half-shafts.

But neither the diff nor the half shafts have the retaining circlips...

The half-shafts slide in and out freely... Not ideal... lol...

I called Nissan and they had no p/n for a circlip on the diff side of 280ZX half-shafts

Were they supposed to come with the Quaife?

Any ideas where I can get some?

Thanks all,

-e

Edited by ericbauer

Shows up here and here.  Part #18.  Who knows about real availability.  On the Z and ZX R200's it installs in the internal groove in the diff. before you insert the axles.  Later axles (the VLSD's for example) had it installed on the axle itself (may be why there is none in yours).  Check groove sizes, chamfers, etc. to make sure you don't get an axle stuck.  Someone who knows Quaife's could advise better for your situation.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsunS30/DatsunZIndex/PowerTrain/DifferentialGear/R200/tabid/1727/Default.aspx

http://www.courtesyparts.com/clip-side-p-351272.html

Edited by NewZed

Thanks johnc

My local downtown L.A. Nissan dealer said 1-2 weeks to get them in their parts dept.

I called Courtesy and they said they could ship it out from Tx in 1-2days...

(and supposedly they are coming out of the LosAngeles warehouse)

Go figure how that works ...

Thanks all again,

-e

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone's curious, here are the R200 circlips

Nissan part number 38225-N3100

27mm ID, 32mm OD

I popped them in earlier today and they worked a-ok - axles are now securely held in place.

R200_circlip.jpg

Edited by ericbauer

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, the internal clips were used up until the VLSD diff's I believe.  VLSD has clips on the axles, older open and CLSD had internal clips.  They should still be in yours.  They were probably part of the problem you had removing your axles.  Might be damaged by now.

The clips keep the axle located in the diff.  Otherwise it would be a battle between the halfshaft compressing and extending or the axles moving in and out as the distance between diff and hub changed.