HybridZ

extinct intake/exhaust gasket

Heroez

Digging through my parts stash I found an intake/exhaust gasket unused. The odd part is that it has little metal borders at the openings of the intake and exhaust ports. Seems like I read a post about how this was an advantage, but I cant find that post. Anyone know anything about this gasket?

Beck/Arnley, Stone, and a few other brands have those aluminum crush rings on the exhaust ports. I would look for the silvery kind, the compressed graphite gaskets as sold by Fel-pro so long ago. Now all I can get are the crappy cardboard type...they just don't seal up like the first few I bought.

Where do you get the graphite ones? Hmm. Doesnt match what I see. This one has edge liners on exhaust and intake holes, made of steel. Magnet sticks. Oh, wait it says fel-pro 22743. Kinda dull silver like you said. Im going to investigate that number. Photo856_zps34b80d70.jpgI thought the post was reading had something to do with porting... Maybe port matching? They mentioned some advantage about this type of gasket. Its aggravating not being able to locate it in search when the gasket appears. I dont know, maybe they just said it was a good gasket.

Edited by Heroez

Xenke, got something for you. Searching google images with part number gets me Autopartsnetwork.com and they have a couple you mention. The beck arnley, I see it has metal just at exhavst ports. And a silver felpro. For like 10 bucks.

Not specific to the original topic, but the Victor Reinz gasket is not cardboard, it's a thicker multilayer gasket.  Another option.  Plastic-y outer layer with a thin metal core.  Quality isn't great, some trimming around the ports is necessary but it's different from the Fel-pro cardboard.  I think it's the same gasket MSA sells.  Harder to install because of the thickness and weight, definitely a different design.

I've used the MSA gasket for about 20,000 miles with no issues, then used Fel-Pro's paper and had to retighten several bolts/nuts after the back of the exhaust manifold started leaking.  I have a RockAuto Victor Reinz gasket waiting.

The silvery ones I mentioned are VERY similar to the VERY expensive Remflex brand. They were only 12.99 when I bought them though, instead of 50+$ each now.

The Ishino/Beck/Stone brands only had the flanges on the exhaust ports; I have seen ones like the felpro you show above but I have never had one in my hands.