HybridZ

Defcon 1

johnc

My new L30 on the Sunbelt dyno. Break in finished Tuesday night at 10:00pm. This morning we made 3 pulls with no individual cylinder mixture or ignition tuning and the engine running very rich at 11.1:1. 289 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 246 foot pounds at 5,400 rpm. 200+ ft. lbs. from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm. Further tuning (including two different custom headers) to be done this week. The ultimate horsepower and torque numbers won't be posted... :wink:

7068762.jpg

Its a custom distributor housing that holds the optical triggers for the ignition and FI reference. In the picture, the coils are on the left side, mounted to the dyno frame. The engine management system is a Motec M48 with an extended ignition module.

John,

So obviously this motor was built to see combat in the OTC. What cylinder head/compression/cam/piston size etc.. are you using? And I assume you are running triple throttle bodies. Fairly potent motor in a 2200 lb car. (slight understatement).

-Bob Hanvey

The car is being built for the new SCCA Solo2 Street Modified 2 class. OTC is secondary, but it should be fun beating up the Porsches! Engine is pretty open with my only limits (based on trying to hit a 1,900 lb weight minimum) being a max 3L displacement and normal aspiration. I emphasized a broad, flat torque band as the overriding goal for the motor.

Engine is an early N42 block and a late N42 head. Pistons are forged JE giving 13.6 to 1 compression with an 87.5mm bore. Heads are heavily worked with the main emphasis on exhaust port flow. Jim Thompson developed a number of new computer models of the L6 valvetrain which payed off in a bunch of ways. The most startling is that the engine runs valve spring pressures 25% less than a stock engine and its still good to 8,000 rpm! There are no inner valve springs. The assembled engine, minus the spark plugs, requires 38 ft.lbs. to turn over.

Because its a torque motor there are no individual throttle bodies. It has one custom TWM 60mm throttle body opening into a huge 4" diameter plenum feeding 5" long tapered runners. Jim also developed two separate custom headers. The first is a stepped design with long primaries and the second is another stepped design with shorter primaries and some long collectors. These will be tested this week.

The cam is custom and even I don't know the numbers on it. Suffice to say that I've got at least 200 ft.lbs. of torque from 4,000 to 7,000+ rpm.

Here's a shot of the left side of the motor. Its not pretty because none of the parts have been cleaned and sent to the coaters yet and the wiring harness has not been loomed.

7068766.jpg

Yea pete, you are the only one impressed! :D NOT!

I looked back through my dyno sheets on my 3.1. Food for thought for you John:

I had somewhere over 200 hp from 3800-6900, peak of 225, obviously tapering off as rpm went up. Torque was slight more, and just about as broad. Not quite the power figures you have, but mine doesn't have 13:1 compression either! I think mine is about 9.5:1 maybe slight less. My cylinder pressures are in the 180 range. I had over 200 lbs of torque at the wheels.... smile.gif Makes for fun acceleration!

I'd be really intested in what Jim did to get the low spring pressures. Esp. since I have the hydrualic lifters and want a larger cam, on the order of .500 lift.

-Bob

Bob,

I was always impressed with what you got out of your street 3.1L. Some of the writeups you've done helped convinced me to build up an L6 instead of going with a VG motor (which is legal in SM2.)

Jim discovered a number of important things about the L6 valvetrain through his computer models. Most of what he discovered he's keeping secret, but a telling point is that L6 cams have been based on computer models of the early BMW SOHC valvetrain layout. That's the only model that was available in the last 20 years and cam grinders have been using ramp and nose profiles appropriate for the BMW motor (the only exception that Jim mentioned was Don Devendorf at Electromotive). Jim found significant differences between what the BMW valvetrain needs and what the L6 valvetrain needs.

DAMN! nice dude! thats a killer NA motor! do you know if your cam maker will be selling cams for the L series motors? I like the idea of running a higher redline with less valvespring pressure! hope you whoop some proche ass, fo course the 240Z did it when it came out, so no reason for you not to with 2X the HP and less weight!!

Rock on!

McAdam

John,

You obviously have an different belt/pulley setup. What damper did you use, and what is the belt setup? I have been looking at several aftermarket dampers, and am not happy with the stock V-belt. I would actually love to go to a electric water pump for consistency in cooling.

And what about the oil pan? Anything fancy there? I'm leaning towards the Arizona Z pan b/c of price and its aluminum. Just probing for new ideas.

-Bob

The damper is an ATI Super Damper - supposedly the same part used on NASCAR Winston Cup motors. Sunbelt is a huge fan of good harmonic dampers. If you mention the word "Unorthodox" near any of the guys there they just roll there eyes and laugh. Jim Thompson has stories about blown up BMW World Challenge motors after an engine builder started eliminating the dampers in a futile attempt to get more horsepower.

The pulleys themselves are Moroso parts with Sunbelt fabricating the attachments to the damper, water pump, and alternator. Alternator mount is fabricated also; it needs to be positioned farther forward than the stock mount allows. Gilmer belt is 1.5" wide, 31" long.

Oil pan and pump are Nissan Motorsports parts.

John,

I was just reading the new GRM and have a question about the new SM2 class.

On page 16, it states that SM2 limits are as follows:

forced induction ohc - 3.0L, Forced induction pushrod - 4.0L, and NA engines can be a max of 6.0, rotary engines 1.5L.

Is this info wrong, or has it changed?

I also found this: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_modified.html

-Bob

-well, i just took a thorough look at that page and see that you are shooting for the 1900 lb limit. the extra .1L the full 3.1L would give you would not offset the 300lb higher min weight. I think I see now. :D

http://streetmodified.org - for general info.

http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/sm2_rules.html - for the specific SM2 classifications.

And yes, I'm shooting for the 1,900 lb. weight break, but I don't think I can get there. My car currently weights 2,260 lbs. with 1/2 tank of fuel and without driver.

The new motor weighs less than the old by about 70 lbs and the Quaife transmission with the Quartermaster clutch weighs the same as the old Type B.

So that gets me down to 2,190. An aluminum radiator, new lighter racing seats, and some legal parts removal will save me another 50 lbs. Now I'm down to 2,140.

Today, Hitel Patel showed me a carbon fiber hood that weighs 7 lbs including attachment hardware. That can save me 40 lbs over the stock hood and hinges. He is also making a front fender/headlight bucket combination that will save 40 lbs. total for both sides. If I spend the money for these parts I can trim another 80 lbs and get the wieght down to 2,040 - but that's probably the best I can do legally.

Hiten also has a rear hatch/polycarb rear window combination that weights 8 lbs including attachment hardware. That saves a whopping 62 lbs over the stock rear hatch, glass, hinge, and strut assembly. But, replacing those parts is illegal in SM2.