HybridZ

Anyone use a Steering Quickener?

Id love to find if anyone here has used one of these, what ratio they used, their impressions on the increased steering effort, pictures of the install if they have it, etc.  I was wondering if this would be a worthwhile venue to increase steering speed vs the typical AZC steering knuckles

I built a few for BMW E36 applications. Well worth it but there was room to do it because of the depth of the steering wheel assembly above the column on the BMW. I looked at doing something similar on the S30 and I figured you would need to cut the shaft and the column to get enoight room for the quickener.

I used a 66% or so faster power steering Woodward rack. Not cheap, but probably more cost efficient than doing an electric upgrade and a quickener, and the rack is a lot stronger, road feedback is supposed to be better, effort is adjustable after the fact, etc. Requires a good bit of fabrication on the crossmember and some avoidance or replacement of the stock motor mount tower on the drivers side.

Cobramatt has the same rack I do, and tube80z has a more typical circle track version of it as well. Here is my thread on it:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/97073-woodward-power-steering-project/