HybridZ

280z turbo stall and die.

I got A mystery on my hands. without warning my Z stalled and died. Everything checks out fuel, spark, compression. It will run with starting fluid. But as soon as I turn the pumps on it dies. But it seems to be almost electrical because it dies when the pump is turned on. Verified working injectors, verified fuel pressure, verified spark,.

what would cause a motor to die when the fuel pump pressure hits the system?

Edited by sekkyoshi

okay now it's starting to get aggravating. replace the fuel pump.removed clean the fuel rail, new fuel hoses, Replace the ECU, replace the fuel pressure regulator, replace the fuel injector relay, and the fuel filter,. Try to start it and its doing the same thinG. it starts on starter fluid but again as soon as I turn the pumps on it dies out.this doesn't make any sense in starting to drive me crazy.

Possible, just pulled the rail exposing the injector tips while cranking. Weak spray at first the with a couple blips of the pump, then good spray patterns from all 6

This part isn't clear.  At starter motor RPM I would think that you would see a small squirt for every other revolution.  Barely enough to see a pattern.  You seem to be describing injectors on full time.

This part isn't clear. At starter motor RPM I would think that you would see a small squirt for every other revolution. Barely enough to see a pattern. You seem to be describing injectors on full time.

It will run for a bit with the injectors removed, it is a bit of a fire hazard, apparently. :(

It will run for a bit with the injectors removed, it is a bit of a fire hazard, apparently. :(

and

"stock fuel damper is still in place. Ill remove that next and see what happens."

Even less clear.  I don't think that you understand the basics of fuel injection, or your not applying the principles to your problem.  You should read read the Engine Fuel chapter in the FSM.  It describes when and why the injectors spray.  If you are about to remove the fuel damper to get your engine to run, you aren't really thinking things through.  You said that you had a good spray pattern but you're still looking for a fuel line blockage.  Doesn't make sense.

Read and think before going any further.  A few simple methodical tests will tell you where the problem is.

Do you still have your cold start injector?  I'd try unplugging that first thing.  then try starting as you have been, Fluid, then pumps and see if it dies. You say this happened out of the blue.  What is your fuel pressure with your pumps running?  Does it drop low after you turn it on?  it may be the FPR.  You've got fuel,  you've got spark, is it getting air?  Well the starter fluid helps, but how are you getting that into the engine? spraying it through the AFM?  Do you have any obvious vaccum leaks between the AFM and the injectors? A bad tear in the afm bellows rubber could cause it to die like this.

Good points pharaoh, the cold start has been gone 4 years now. And yes newzed, my first stop was the usual culprits, relays, fuses, blockages and yes even the manual. If I come to the site I've exhausted all other options, spare ecu, pump, fpr, etc but I understand that u have to ask NZ because some guys view the hybrid z resource as "first stop" for me I come here when my car has been sitting a few days.

I'm gonna chase a short in the fuel injector wiring for a bit. That would make sense with the way it just suddenly died. However that theory doesnt explain why it dies when pressure hits the system when I turn the pump on. (it will run normal on starter)

Good points pharaoh, the cold start has been gone 4 years now. And yes newzed, my first stop was the usual culprits, relays, fuses, blockages and yes even the manual. If I come to the site I've exhausted all other options, spare ecu, pump, fpr, etc but I understand that u have to ask NZ because some guys view the hybrid z resource as "first stop" for me I come here when my car has been sitting a few days.

I'm gonna chase a short in the fuel injector wiring for a bit. That would make sense with the way it just suddenly died. However that theory doesnt explain why it dies when pressure hits the system when I turn the pump on. (it will run normal on starter fluid)

Edited by sekkyoshi

No offense intended. You do see my point about looking for a blockage when you have good flow through the injectors? Makes no sense.

Why would I be offended? I've been wrenching 25 years now, that's means I have enough experience and humility to admit when I'm stumped and I am. Stumped. I've delt with arm chair/walk up mechanics since Reagan was in office. I'm not gonna get worked up cause one MORE guy told me I don't understand basic fuel delivery principle. keep em comin NZ, its kinda entertaining. :)

Edited by sekkyoshi