HybridZ

removing FI harness from 77 280Z for su conversion

I recently picked up a 77 280Z. When I picked it up it had no fuel psi or spark. This morning I swapped the dizzy to a 80' 280ZX e-12. I now have spark. With starter fluid it starts right up. 

I do eventually plan to run EFI, but it will be with mega squirt over the winter. I also have a 72' 240Z as a donor car to the 77'. Now just to get it running and driving id like to swap over the SU's. But im worried that if I was to pull out the EFI harness that things wont work inside the car. Like gauges, fuel pump relay ect.. 

So my real question is should I pull out the harness or leave it in? I already know the SU's will bolt up to my N47 head so no worries there. I also have a 4psi pump from the 240Z that will be swapped as well. I just dont want to pull the harness and no longer have spark. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

How long has it been sitting?

The problem with swapping to carbs is that you will almost certainly break some studs and/or bolts off in the head when removing the manifolds.  After you fix those problems and get the carbs installed, you'll have to tune the carbs.  You should also consider emissions rules in your locale, since 1977 is usually a year that needs testing in most places.  If you have a catalytic converter, your carb tune will be extra important also.  You won't be able to just drive it around at 12 mpg.

Just some thoughts.  If you have spark and it runs on starting fluid you're not really that far away from driving it with EFI.

If you do decide to go with carbs though, the EFI harness is essentially separate from the main harness.  It even has its own power supply wire and fusible link.  The fuel pump relay is tied to the AFM switch though, so you'll need to rewire that.  Overall, it shouldn't be too complicated.

Honestly, the SU's have been sitting untouched for about 10 yrs. Although they move freely, pistons slide and clunk like they should, choke moves free, butterflys are smooth. also there is still oil in the dampeners. Short of blowing out the fuel passages and re-gasketing them, Im hoping they will work. The car they came from has low miles, so im praying for good throttle shaft bushings.

I plan to run a separate relay for the fuel pump as well have it on a switch ( sort of a anti theft device) and so I can turn it off while working on the car and having the key forward in the on position. 

Im really just trying to get the car running and moving under its own power. Once that is achieved I plan to go thru the entire EFI system, clean it all up. If funds allow it come winter, It will be swapped back with MegaSquirt.

I just wanted to make sure that once I remove the harness its not going to have any ill effects.  

EDIT: In the state of Illinois, if its older than 1996 it is no longer emission tested. So that's not a problem. 

Edited by ZXT_bean

Well I was able to get the car fired up on the carbs. But they are not in as good of shape as I had hoped. 

So I ordered a new intake/exhaust gasket, as well as kits for both carbs. I wish I had enough money at the moment to order the Z-Therapy kits and video, but thats not going to happen at the moment. 

Does anyone have a link or a guide to rebuiding SU's? Every page or thread I come across just says to order the Z-therapy video. And that's not an option right now. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!