HybridZ

LSD on a 240Z

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by korsou:

Hello people,

I have a 71 240Z and need to install an LSD from an 88 300ZX Turbo. I need help.

Thanks

Help with..........what??

Just swap the rear covers with a pre 84 R200 rear cover and use a front yoke that you want your driveshaft to match.....(ie. most swap on the pre 84 R200 yoke as well, one pipe wrench, big socket and breaker bar and some attention to appropriate torque so you don't overcrush it on resinstall.)

Other than that standard R200 halfshafts for Z cars are used, if you have lots of power or want to avoid U joint axles you can use 280ZXT CV halfshafts with the adaptors I have available.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by 240Z Turbo:

Difficult Viscous diff? Hey, I run the 3.7 Viscous unit in my 240Z! Difficult, not very! Just several hours of looking through shaft books and whala....front shaft from AMC Eagle 6cyl AWD! HEHE!

Interesting. So James does this mean the Viscous diff is a direct bolt on if usng the AMC front shafts? Or the shafts needs modifing?

Thanks in Advance,

Here is the skinny on how to do the swap. Why people to not use the VLSD is because the input shafts on that unit are unique to it. So, the input shaft from Pre-89 R200 in the Z's won't fit into this unit. What to do? You MUST use the VLSD input shafts which uses a race/cage design on that side. I then used the AMC Eagle 6cyl front shaft and its race which was compatible with the cage on the VLSD. Now on the outer part of the shaft it uses a tripod design as the outer 280zxt stuff. I used the tripod from the AMC Eagle 6cyl and the housing from the 280zxt and it was a match. This allowed me to use the 280zxt companion flanges. Now, the shafts are about 13" long which makes the drivers side a direct boltup. I had to make a 3/8" thick spacer for the passengers side to take up some slack as the shaft was slightly too short. Very easy and the VLSD works well and is very smooth/quiet.

So it's a total junkyard scavenger hunt then? That rocks. I don't think I've ever seen any AMC cars in the yards around here though. Looks like their not too bad new - evil core charge though. A 3/8 spacer on the CV would be pretty easy to have made. I guess the only other thing is the fin-friendly transverse bar. What do you use for boots?

Does anyone have any info on the interchange compatibility of the R&Ps between "normal" open R200s and the VSLD unit?

3.7 isn't too bad, but 3.54 would be better. Either way, VSLD would be fantastic.