HybridZ

piston help

Hey guys, I need some help.

I'm having problems finding decently priced pistons to run in my 83 ZXT engine. It currently has JE 9:1's, but after talking with a JE distributor they supposedly have to custom make them, which means 4-6 weeks of waiting and anywhere from $100-150 each...

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd prefer to get at least a little better than stock...how are NISMO pistons and where's the best place to get them? But, if I have to run stock pistons, then that's what I have to do. Lower compression just means I get to turn the boost up more smile.gif

On that note, I see that Courtesy Nissan has flat top pistons for $57. What would the comp. ratio be with a P90A head and a 2mm HKS HG?

Thanks for any help in advance,

What's wrong with the JEs in the motor now? I know aftermarket forged pistons are expensive, but pay the man now or pay the man later... I'd hate to scrimp on pistons now and have to pull the motor out and apart again.

Well, when the previous owner had it he must have encountered ALOT of detonation. There is detonation damage across 4 of the 6 pistons (pretty much unusable).

I've talked to a few people that are running pretty quick times (into the 11's) with stock pistons, but I was kinda wanting something with a little more low end grunt than stock pistons, which is why I was wondering about the NISMO flat tops that Courtesy Nissan sells...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/cgi-bin/miva?onlinestore/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=s30_nismo_piston

From what I've been reading, flat top pistons with a P90A head would result in an 8.5:1 compression ratio, which would be perfect for turbo apps. I eventually will/may end up going with a newer/more modern engine, so I don't know if I want to spend any more than I have to in the L28ET until I decide which route I want to go...

However, I'd kinda like to get the engine running as soon as possible...I still have a few other things to buy, also...such as I/C piping, intercooler (I just scored a SMIC from a DSM for free, so it will have to work for temporary duty - which means I'm going to be limiting my boost levels to about 12psi anyway). With the stuff left to buy and the fact that I still need to buy, or redo, my interior (to black) I find myself needing to go this route as cheaply, but effectively, as possible.

Damn. This is a cool program. Thanks!!

I need to verify what head gasket I have for sure (going to take it and measure it), but I will either have an 8.1:1 or an 8.8:1 comp. ratio...both of which would work fine for turbo duty...or I could run the standard HG I have sitting here and that will bring it right to 8.6:1

cool program indeed...

I put Ross Racing ones in my car, and they we 68 bucks each for forged flat top turbo pistons.

I used 240 rods, which are .133 inch longer than 280 rods, and the pistons still sat .040 down in the bore.

You will need my information in order to use the my data, or else they will ask you a ton of questions like what your pin height is, deck height, YADDA YADDA YADDA. Oh, mine were .040 over too.

If you send me a private email, I will try to find the invoice to look them up. Talk to a guy named Rick out there if he is still there. There was another guy I talked with, but he was an a-hole.

If your pistons are out, then just send one to them and they will take care of you. They took less than two weeks on mine.