HybridZ

when were cats put on Z's???

Guest ZDreamin

Guest Tim78zt

I've had original 78 Zs both with and without cats, so I would say it depends on whether it is a Calif or federal car, but 78 would be a safe bet.

Tim78zt

I was pretty sure that cats were mandated in all vehicles starting in 1975. I know that was true on domestics, and would surprise me if imports were exempt, but I guess it could be on smaller engines. The '78 I just cut the exhaust off of had a cat.

I have a 75 Texas Z and i only have a resonator on it. I think it started in 75 for California to have cats on but 78 import and domestic for all states. I'm not sure about that though so dont hold me on that.

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

Your correct, 75 domestically was the year of the cat. I think domestic trucks was a few years later at 1977/78. Imports I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure that California demanded cats on them as well from 75 on, but can't confirm that.

I know that 1974 was the beginning of a really bad serveral years of performance, things were really on the decline and it took till the early 80's before it returned. 4sp's were nearly impossible to get in like the otherwise nice mid-late 70's camaro's for example. You could get the 4sp in every state but Ca.,I think maybe because they didn't want to mess with trying to certify it smog wise, or they knew it wouldn't make it.

Also interestingly enough it was the time of the gas embargo lines (no embargo just a ploy to raise the price).

For those not old enough to remember, they even tried metric measurment (a litre instead of a gallon) so you'd think you were'nt getting screwed paying for like 3/4-7/8 of a gallon for the raised price. They put a conversion formula on the pump :rolleyes: needless to say, people hated that alot and it ended shortly thereafter.. :D Ok, enough with the history in review... smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest bang847
Originally posted by Lone:

Mike,

Your correct, 75 domestically was the year of the cat.

HAA HAAA

:D:D Lone, You sound like a chinese fortune teller bonk.gifbonk.gif

Most non-Cal. cars didn't need cats until 1978. Even then most didn't have them. It really started in the 280ZX model in 1979. Only then did you get the cats on every model. I have had five 1978 280Z that didn't have the cats. All had the original pipe still on them. Hope that helps. cheers.gif

Guest ZDreamin

so lets say on a 76 cali car, living in az could i just cut off the cat and get it through emissions, just curious cause' a 76 i looked at, had a cat.

thanks

sean