HybridZ

E31 260Z project

Might have a job available soon...
But in the meantime I got the car idling, first Z so I mixed up the throttle and mixture screws like a total dunce...
Still running rich but it's worlds better now than it was before. Gonna tune it for real later this week.

Edited by 9/73-E31-260z

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I added progress. My friends helped me tune the SU's (Scott Fisher's procedure), so the car is running MUCH better now. Still need to do some fine tuning/massage the timing I think cuz it's still feels just a little bit off, but not much. I was able to find a 280z center console for a temporary replacement, I wish I could've found one with an actual opening for the choke lever but S30s are hard to come by in yards around here so I'm happy for now. Next step will be to see if I can put the 280zx distributor I have on the engine. 
Speaking of distributors...
I just got the number off of the one on the engine currently - D6F3-01- which is the stock L26+manual transmission distributor. Except for the fact that my engine is supposedly an L24...

So I am left even more confused on what exactly my engine is made up of:
It has an ealry 240 head (E31), a late 240 block (P30 L24), and an L26 distributor. I know it's possible that it could have L26 internals, but it could have any number of combinations as well of course. I'm not taking the head or oil pan off any time soon so I can't really be sure as to what is actually in it, I might be able to see if the pistons are dished or not through the spark plug holes but that's about it. 
At this point nothing on the engine seems to be from the same engine (even the intake and balance tubes and such are different), but at least there's hope it could possibly have the L26+E31 combo I was hoping it had when I bought it. 
Interchangeability certainly does have it's ups and downs... 

Overall the engine runs and feels plenty powerful (for now...), compression numbers were rock solid (less than 5-7% difference across all sic cylinders), no apparent vacuum leaks, and exhaust fumes aren't even an issue creeping into the cabin. I hope to start working again soon and then try and get the five speed I have in maybe over spring break, and I might look at checking out the diff because something seems off on it as well. First things first though: 40 year old bushings have GOT to go, basically non existent right now. And the shocks might be shot as well in the back, so definitely some fun to be had over the next couple of months. 

A little long winded, but it's been almost two months since I updated progress and I've been thinking about lots I stuff I need/want to do with the car. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on things like the engine combo and such. 

1974 was the year that Nissan introduced electronic ignition to the US market Z cars.  No more points.  Looks like someone just swapped L24 engine parts in but kept the better 260Z electronic ignition with its distributor.  Look under the passenger dash by the fuse box and you'll probably see a neat looking aluminum box with cooling fins on it.

post-41064-0-28892900-1393018236_thumb.jpg

Ah, it is there. Little out of the way so I hadn't noticed it before. 
My auto tech teacher pointed out the magnetic pickup in the distributor the other day and said "Oh you've got electronic ignition on here" 

Is this kind of distributor similar to the ones they had on the 280z that were 'magnetic trigger' design I believe? And much different from the D6K82-02 280zx distributor I have as well? 
I am going to guess the current distributor came from the car like you said, it also has an N36 intake which was also from the L26 right? The whole engine is an interesting mix of L24 and L26 bits.