HybridZ

no compression and weird exhaust manifold

Guest bang847

Guest Anonymous

Any one have a good L 28 for Bang Bang. You have more problems in that motor than I had in my blown head gasket silver Zee. I just swapped L28 motors from my V8 conversion project into the Silver Z. If you was up here in Oregon you could have free choice in my private Z junkyard.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about a horizontally cut relief at the top of the cylinders. One per cylinder, on the exhaust valve side of each bore. Nissan put them there to allow them to use larger exhaust valves in the L26. The L24 has the same bore but didn't need the reliefs because they used the smaller valve. If a later head is put on an early L24 block then they have to be ground in. Not a big deal and you can do a better flowing job than the factory does but is it's not done the exhaust valves crash into the block. DAW

Guest bang847

Well guys i finally got another head.. it is a N47 off of a 73Z..

the maxima head i stashed got trashed cry2.gif

oh well this head looked ok for a 21 bucks..

anyways,, my question is this...

what is the best way to remove the old gasket?

I scraped it with a razor but got alittle worried when i nicked the piston tops.. also a few pieces fell down the bolt holes so i stopped...

any tips on how to do this?

next thing is the N47 head doesnt have a oiler...

the E88 head had a oiler rail so is there any concern? I probably need to adjust the valves but i heard they require shims.. where do i get these?

additional advice and pointers are much appreciated.. thanks guys... i'll post some pictures later... I gonna beat this thread like a dead horse twak.gif

The N47 from the '73 didn't come on it originally and it is either a 280Z head or a Maxima head (you could tell by the size of the intake valves: 44mm if Z; 42mm if Maxima). Don't worry about the oiler rail absent on the N47, they went to internal cam lobe oiling on N47 and later heads (see the small holes in the lobes providing oil; whereas E88 has none, oil rail instead).

Gasket scraper: solid Craftsman type first for heavy stuff, then razor blade type to finish. I wouldn't worry too much about small bits of debris falling into bolt holes. You could blow it back out with compressed air, but some holes you will be blowing coolant back up too, possibly in your face.

It's easier to set the valves once the head is bolted on (remember the cam position has to correspond to the position of the E88 you removed). You don't need shims for valve adjustment like some cars use, it's just an adjustable post/pivot with a jamnut (you might be referring to lash pads thicknesses or cam tower shims but you shouldn't need to alter anything there). DAW

The N47 could be from a 280Z L28 or a Maxima L24. The chambers are very different and it's obvious when the heads are side by side. The Maxima head has "peanut-shaped" chambers. The easiest way to identify the Maxima head is to bring a set of calipers (the simple plastic type are fine) and measure the intake valve. Maxima is 42mm and 280Z is 44mm. Both have "N47" cast onto the right outside of the head near the #1 spark plug hole. DAW