HybridZ

Cheapest route to turbo

Shadowen925

I've got a 78 280z. It's had some minor modifications done to it, but didn't fire up. I got it cheap and need to get it going sooner than later. The body is in pretty poor shape and needs some paint and bodywork. 

Anyway, I pulled the engine last night and It is a N42 block with an N47 head. From all the running around a searching of forums, I've seemed to either confused myself, or have found contradicting info. What I think I found is that the N47 head has the wrong exhaust ports for a turbo manifold. I realize that the F54/P90 would be ideal, but the N42 block can be turbo'd with the right head.

Question 1: Which head should I located for my N42 block? The compression was at 150 across the board. I planed on replacing the bearings and rings. So while I'm at that point, should I go Flat pistons?

I have all the turbo hardware down as to what I need to locate, aside from the Oil Pump.

Question 2: What do I need to change around Ignition related to make the ECU work? I'm not in a Testing zone so I don't have to worry about any emissions. 

P79 or P90 head, have the best combustion chamber design. If you want to run low boost, go with flattops, if you want to run high boost you should run dished.

All the wiring is here in the forums somewhere to wire up a 280z.

So I can grab a p90 head. Toss it on my block with new rings/ bearings and a head gasket. Get the turbo intake and exhaust manifolds for the p90. And run the stock turbo.

From there I need the turbo injectors and fuel pump (anyone know what that is for lph).

Do i need a different MAF?

Then i need to tap my oil pan for a drain.

Whos got the part number for the oil pump?

Lastly, i can just wire in the turbo ecu and go?

Down piping and charge piping as well as gauges. Im not taking into account as ill buy them either way. Being build this or drop a stock l28et in .

Honestly for stock boost and turbo injectors, I think the 280z pump will work. The turbo and non turbo ZX pumps are the same. 

You need the turbo AFM, not MAF since these cars didn't have a MAF.

Yes you need to tap a return, or just buy a turbo oil pan.

Get an automatic turbo oil pump, as its supposed to push more oil. 

You can just "wire" in the turbo ecu and go, but that requires a lot of wire tracing. 

All piping is pretty much going to be custom, although MSA sells an s30 downpipe, You can also run the stock rubber turbo pipe. I would invest in aftermarket gauges for Boost and A/F

Honestly for stock boost and turbo injectors, I think the 280z pump will work. The turbo and non turbo ZX pumps are the same.

You need the turbo AFM, not MAF since these cars didn't have a MAF.

Yes you need to tap a return, or just buy a turbo oil pan.

Get an automatic turbo oil pump, as its supposed to push more oil.

You can just "wire" in the turbo ecu and go, but that requires a lot of wire tracing.

All piping is pretty much going to be custom, although MSA sells an s30 downpipe, You can also run the stock rubber turbo pipe. I would invest in aftermarket gauges for Boost and A/F

Thanks guys this is the info I was looking for. I'm not scared of wiring, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm looking into some l28et's right now, but bin the spirit of getting this going I may just buy turbo parts. Does the turbo ecu need a crank pos sensor? Or any other sensors my engine doesn't have?

You don't have to wire in a turbo ecu, if your running stock low boost, you can use the stock N/A Distributor and wiring harness. The distributor internal advance weights need to be locked, so they don't move. Take the dist apart or buy another one from the J-yard and modify that one. You can have the weights welded up, RTV them or JB Weld them, so they dont move. I did that for 3 years and it worked fine, Use the turbo injectors. Stock fuel pump.

Also take out the pcv valve from under the N42 manifold and move it forward at the underside of the manifold. There are extra threaded plugs under the manifold, so thats pretty easy to. If ypou forget to do it, the turbo hose connecting the j-pipe to the turbo won't fit.

You can also use your N/A AFM, You only need to get a smaller intake airboot bewteen the AFM and the front of the turbo. I did that also. My engine would fly through emissions also setup this way.

The early turbo used the front crank pulley and a sensor. The later Turbo 82-83, used a different dist and dist drive shaft.

Get yourself por make the turbo oil feed line. Get the turbo drain pipe also.