HybridZ

'81 280zx LS1 swap

Hey all; I'm not a long time car enthusiast, but within the last year it has become a big part of my life, so please be patient with my limited knowledge; I'm learning as fast as I can. :)

I just inherited an '81 280zx with no turbo, and the engine is old (and weak) ... soo...

The gen III engine idea has been growing on me; I've been doing a lot of research on both it and the zx; I know the Z is preferred for a lot of reasons, but I HAVE a zx now.

I also can't find any finished LS1 swap projects that exist for it yet, and from a post here I understand I will have to do a little work to get the driver's side headers to fit... but I'm not deterred.

I have a quick question for the boards as part of this intro I guess... do you have somewhere here to post 'journal'-like results and progress as I try to make this happen?

Domz comes to mind. I'm pretty sure he has an LSx in his zx.

I'd rather do this is a ZX than a Z (s30) for a lot of reasons: stiffer chassis, better suspension, already plumbed for FI (talking about early S30's here), more creature comfots that are pretty much already in place. People don't do it because the ZX just doesn't look as good to most people. I personally love the lines of it. 

stiffer chassis, better suspension, already plumbed for FI (talking about early S30's here), more creature comfots 

This does make me feel better, and I do agree strongly on the last point.  It still blows people away when I tell them my '81 has automatic mirrors XD.

For a street car, an LS1 is nearly overkill for how much power I would like, so I don't really mind the ZX being a little heavier than the Z anyway, though that is personal choice.