HybridZ

260z , should I buy another Z??

I found a local 260z parked on the neighbor autoshop. (I got my 280z and it is right on the smog year - I can't swap any engine without going to the referee. And I guess this will be a good car to do the swap).The guy work there claimed that owner may want to sell it. 

Problem:

Hood , no good - twisted

Floor pan may need to change out, see some rust but not rusted thru,.

Frame rail , of course , need to replace..

Engine: the autoshop guy claimed he changed the dis but  couldn't get the car run. He said he aligned timing mark but couldn't get the cylinder 1 align . He said not sure but the timing chain was tripped??

How hard to fix the engine problem? How much should I offer him. ? Car located 93514 Bishop ( next to Mammoth mountain ) . 

I got the 280z 1976 same city for $1750 ( not running) .

Thanks guys. I may take couple pictures after the rain . 

hell if you're into wearing stripes and want to Swap vin plates around, you might as well show up with a flat bed in the middle of the night.  You might make a few days, but the guys in blue will track you down.  Swapping VIN plates is a stupid stupid thing to do, even if you own both cars. it's dishonest to say the least. On a S30, there's NO reason to do it, Earlier VINs don't change the value. 

The Emissions guys will know something is fishy if they see an old Z with the wrong plate. You want to let uncle sam crush your car for you?  Don't do it.   You CAN get an allowance from the DMV for a swapped engine. Depending on the state. Most just say that the donor engine has to be from a newer year car than the body.  Of course California may have different rules, you should call the DMV. or talk to some of the customs shops.

As for the 260Z, you can buy it and move your later year parts into it. Getting replacement hoods and such isn't too hard if you talk to your local Z car club, or look on the for sale/wanted here

Yeah, I won't buy that 260z just for swapping VIN plate. I drove by a smog check point in my parent area ( Arcadia, CA ) and saw they pulled all pre 2000 car over for a smog test on site. They pop hood, check VIN and perform all test. Some ricer got pull over too. Good luck to them. I may just work on my 280z and even take more time to work out with the referee with swapping engine and such, I want to drive my car with peace in mind. Thanks guys.

As little as possible...  That's always what you want to get away with. but really it's worth $500 in parts easy.  That underbody concerns me though. It looks like someone sprayed a cheap undercoating over bare metal and it failed. It looks like it's just chipping off.  The metal may be all still good with heavy surface rust, but it could be much worse.  I'd want to tap on it and poke at it with a screw driver. I'd want to put it on a lift and wire brush all that off then coat it with Por15 or some other rust neutralizing paint. The Pans may be needing to be replaced. The hood is an easy replacement.  bumpers not so much, but still possible. Other than that it doesn't look too bad.

Talk to the owner, he stated this is his only car. He said he want to fix it , but I pulled out all the crap that he needs to fix to make  the car run safe again. He said he will think about it. I don't think he will bite the 500 . Should I pay this car for 800+??

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, $3K might be a bit much.  Tell him you'll leave a standing offer of somewhere between $600 and $1500 depending on those floor pans. Bring a screwdrivers and see if it pushes through.  From there, let him say no, then tell him to keep you in mind, and walk away.  I wouldn't pay more that $1500 for that with decent floor pans.  But you're in Cali and people are crazy rich out there, so with a fixed hood, it might just bring $3K. that hood you can unbend by taking it off and standing on it with a couple 2x4's if you're careful.  It's almost December so if you show up with a thick stack of $20's he might go cheap!