HybridZ

Question for those on sequential spark/fuel MS3/MS3X

Chris83zxt

So yesterday at 8:30AM I began pulling out stock stuff and installing my sequential megasquirt setup.  At 11:30PM last night, I successfully started it for the first time.  This was after some failed attempts from 6PM-7PM before I had to quit for other engagements for a while.

I found that my problem with the initial attempts was that I wasn't getting a trigger signal when everything was set up according to the DIYautotune trigger wheel howto.  Specifically, after changing the "Second trigger active on" from "Poll Level" to "Rising Edge" I started getting a trigger signal and the car started.

Does anyone have their setup working per the write-up with "Poll Level" triggering?  Did you set your MS up for optical input or VR?  If I keep it at rising edge, should I change "Ignition Input Capture" to falling edge per the write-up for MS2E?

Regardless I'm happy to have it running.  The Bosch 505 PWM idle valve seemed to work right off the bat in 3-wire mode with some settings I found online and the warm-up idle is already smoother than it was with the stock system.

I run the exact settings as per the DIY auto tune website. My board is setup for the VR input with a 1k pull up to 5v on the main board and the onboard pull up on the MS3X board.

Can you post up your settings for the Bosch idle valve? Just take a screen capture and post the pic.

Edited by winstonusmc

I'll post screencaps of the Bosch valve settings later when I get home.

So your trigger log shows regular trigger events using Poll Level triggering with the next option the default "Low"?

Thanks.  Oh, and thanks for posting your tune.  It's what I used as a base.

Edited by Chris83zxt

Soo . . . in the midst of installing my new fuel pump and flex fuel sensor today and having to go get some gas in a can after running the car out fiddling with it last night I went around a corner and heard something slide off of the roof of my truck.  I caught a glimpse as it tumbled and I knew immediately that I had left my netbook up there.

Screen is busted :(  No further tuning for me until the replacement I just ordered gets here next weekend.

Really ,,, your truck got stolen? No way.

Really.  The show must go on though.  I pulled the harnesses back out today so I can work on running everything permanently.  I think I might have found out why the "poll level" option wasn't working for me (I don't think I had adjusted the pots on the ms3x board).  I won't know for certain until the new laptop arrives.

I did have my MS3 installed on a different engine before, an RB25/26 and it was setup for that. I really didnt mess with the pots on the MS3x board. Did you connect the pull up resistor on the MS3X board?

I installed JP7 which from my understanding acts the same for the cam input as the 1k resistor that has to be soldered onto the mainboard for the crank . . . or did I miss something in my interpretation?

I got the harness ran properly Saturday.  Had her running again Saturday night.  A little fiddling yesterday and a lot this evening with pretty good results.

For the Bosch 505 PWM valve I have PWM closed loop idle mode selected, I have the MS3X idle hooked up to pin 3 and vvt hooked up to pin 1 (+12v to pin 2).  Non-inverted mode selected.  99hz.  Fully closed at 30%, fully open at 90%.  Other than that I just set up my idle curve table how I wanted it (850 down to 750 when hot).

I took two laps around my town tonight with my afr table at ~15.5 in my cruise zones with about 38* advance in those areas with ve live analyze set to allow 'easy' changes.  I stopped for gas after each lap.  On the second lap I averaged about 30mpg, and I wasn't babying it.  So far so good :)

Back to the original topic, even after running everything permanently and even having the case off and adjusting R11 on the MS3X in between start attempts I could not get "poll level" input triggering to work for the cam input.  Rising edge worked fine almost immediately and that's what I've gone with.  Does anyone know if I'll run into problems at high rpm using rising edge triggering for both the crank and cam inputs?

Last night I switched to crank triggering on falling edge and cam rising since the DIY disc article has the MS2E setup done this way.  I had to bump my wheel offset in TS up from 235 to 259 to maintain correct initial timing.  I might try poll level again with the new timing after work today.

Edited by Chris83zxt

Hmm, with some more reading of the ms3x documentation, I'm not entirely sure the secondary trigger should be on 'poll level' in the first place.

http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/trigger-wheel.html#dualmiss

"The cam signal is a single pulse usually generated by a narrow tooth, vane or window. Technically it is edge triggered. For VR type sensors, the edge setting will depend on the wiring you use (typically Rising) as the signal is a very short pulse. For a hall type sensors you need to ensure that the edge you choose matches up with the phasing as below."

Even though poll level triggering isn't explained in great detail, it seems to be used for half-moon type cam triggers where voltage flips from 0v to 5v depending on which half of the disc it's in.  While the l28et trigger disc doesn't have what I'd call a 'narrow window', it's definitely not a 180* slot.

But the reason why pole level works is that the window is aound one of the missing tooths and not the other. I would suppose your arrangement would work too. I dont see the advantage of pole level though except more flexibility on timing adjustments of sensor location and faster syncing.

Can you post up your msq? I would like to compare it to mine.

Let me get a few more runs in then I'll post it up.  My VE map changed all around yesterday after I put my intake back together and swapped some vacuum lines around.  I drove it around last night and am pretty happy with the idle and cruising settings, but my load areas need a lot of work to be correct for my motor.  I'm ensuring they're very rich and then romping on it and letting VE Analyze lean the areas out to around 12:1.  When I started the process I was bogging from a too-rich mixture at about 4,500 rpm.  After ~10 full throttle runs it isn't bogging until around 5,500.

. . . and today filling out some of the VE map my turbo let go :(  I knew it would eventually, as it was old and snaggle-toothed and had been whining for a while.  I had an HY35 in great condition primed to replace it . . . in the passenger seat of my truck :\

Now to decide whether or not to pick up a used T3 on the cheap, try my luck with a churbo, or go ahead and get a GT3076 even if it means going in debt for the first time in almost a decade to do so.