HybridZ

WTB running 75-78 280z Bay Area

joshp

Hey Guys/Gals,

I just moved to the Bay Area, and am in search of a new vehicle, so why not get the z car I've always wanted, right?  I'm looking for a 75-78 280z (no 2+2's) that is in good running condition.  I will be using this as my daily for now and working on the car as I go.  I've been hunting on CL but haven't seen anything spectacular.  My selection criteria, like most of yours would be, start with a straight mostly rust free body (hey wouldn't it be nice if there even WAS a totally rust free car?), good mechanicals and engine, clear title, and lastly interior.  Basically, I need everything I couldn't swap out in a weekend to be on point so I can get on the road... I will also consider 240/260z's if they have a 2.8l engine swap with EFI.  I strongly prefer a manual transmission.

Is it reasonable to be looking in the 5k price range?

Thanks,

Josh

Edited by joshp

Thanks for the reply!

Regarding the price, coming from down south I would routinely see 240's and 260's selling in the 5-6k range, so I was hoping to save a bit with the "less desireable" 280z.  That being said, I am flexible and have the ability to break out the cash for the right car.  I had seen that specific listing on Craigs list, and will look into it further, but new paint is a giant red flag in my experiance...  perhaps I need to let go of that fear moving forward.

On with the hunt!

Unfortunately an automatic transmission... ideas on cost of a 5 speed swap? Theres also another in the napa area with a 5 speed in the  I have my eyes on for 5g's, although i would probably have to dump another 1-2k into it to have it at this lvl.

Link for the other option:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4122355322.html

*editied to add link

Edited by joshp