HybridZ

240Z to 280ZX alternator swap charging voltage

I wanted to know what everyone who did the 240Z to 280ZX IR swap was charging at idle I have the E12-80 electronic ignition with the MSD Blaster 2 coil and electric fuel pump. I also used the plug for the conversion that MSA sells. I checked and my charging voltage is at 15.3V at idle is this normal for this swap?

Thank you Randy and NewZed for your great input but after hours of researching the web for hours and looking for wiring diagrams for my Z I found out my alternator wasnt getting 12 Volts at the "S" Wire at the T connector. I used a jumper wire from B+ and the "S" and had a great 14.5 at idle with all my accesories turned on. After further diagnostics I found out the previous owner had chopped and completely ruined several important harness connection trying to connect only god knows what. all my lights are brighter now which is good since I deliver pizzas in my Z. Once again thank you. The Z community reallt is a great one.

Ouch!   Delivering Pizza in the Z.  I did that with my first 280Z.  Beat the hell out of my car, 100+ miles a night of city driving. Not that the Z didn't handle it, but often people asked why I was delivering in a Z?  Mind you this was in 1988, so that's a different reference. Parts were available, and my Z was barely 10 years old.   It's your car, do what you want with it, but It can get expensive if something breaks.

Honestly I wouldn't mind using my Z as a delivery car. The stock L engine is a tank and I beat on mine all the time. It always starts right up for me like a champ. 34 years later and 95k miles on the clock. Now that's reliable! I also just picked up a spare engine for $150... that's hard to do on any newer car!

The only problem is gas mileage kinda sucks for me, but you should be able to get 20mpg or better stock. To me thats worth it to drive a car I love.

Osirus we share the same views I bought my car to drive it and have always advocated that with any car. Just in three years me and my Z have been to San Francisco, Grand Junction Colorado, and even Las Vegas a couple times and to local drives from Oxnard,CA to Los Angeles. And wouldnt have it any other way. Parts can get expensive but it would be more expensive if I had someone else working on my car. I do all the work to it and know that car like back of my hand. While delivering I do get a lot of people asking me why the hell im delivering in 240Z and I respond I love driving the thing. Also hearing great stories about how they used to have one or knew someone that had one. A security guard who didnt know what the car was even called it a Mini Corvette. Many people seem to enjoy seeing the car on the road and they always have a smile on their face and a big thumbs up. Specially kids.