HybridZ

Best Gear Oil For a Z31 CLSD Diff?

slownrusty

Oh yeah, have diff on level surface when filling. It is normal for some oil to spit out of the vent over the life of the car. Prevents chassis corrosion. To fill if diff is already installed, remove spare tire and pull plug in forward portion of spare tire well. Get a helper. Use 3/8 fuel hose and a funnel to snake hose down and into fill plug on diff. Be prepared to clean up big mess. Tell assistant that gear oil is good hair tonic.

I will look in the morning. I think it is synthetic 75-145 with three tubes of friction modifier. I have a CLSD and no amount if friction modifier has been successful in stopping diff "chatter", which in my car sounds like a big bang from the rear end on slow turns. I stopped adding modifier at three tubes. I do not have an intelligent argument for why I used that oil. Seems like this is a matter of personal preference and product loyalty. I don't think it really matters what gear oil you use. Back when i was a noob, I thought that big greasy diff was a lubricant reservoir placed perfectly by the Z designer to keep my rear LCA bushings continuously lubricated.

I've used Amsoil in my Evo with a lot of sucess; smoother trans than with stock oil, no noise and a lot of abuse on the car with no issue or what so ever.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/

It's not me who's saying this but in a comparison test, Amsoil is ranking as the b... :lol: (I'm just teasing! We're on the net, you can choose to trust or not the data - I can see an Amsoil logo on the very top of the page...)

http://www.syntheticoilhq.com/gearoilcomparisontest.html

Edited by Lazeum

After running 'smurfs blood' in my new R32 gbox I also switched to redline for my diff oil, very happy with it.

What is the capacity of the dif with the finned rear end cover?  I ran the Redline GO when I had the smooth cover on, now switched to the finned but have yet to fill and run it.

My R180 finned cover has an extra 300ml above stock capacity.

Thanks guys.  So I ended up buying Red Line 75W90 and will report back, the consensus from your responses plus some additional research is that it is the recommended oil for these R200 LSD diff.

Maybe I should have titled my thread "Recommended Diff Oil For A R200 Z31 CLSD"..rather than "Best".

My best,

Yasin