HybridZ

Coilover tube question

Sorry if this info is floating around the website, but I tried to search and couldn't find it.

I've got a set of Tein Flex S13 coilovers I'll be putting on my '75 280. I will have a local machine shop make me some tubes. Not 100% sure if the off the shelf ones available for other coilovers will match the thread pitch on the Tein shocks. 

So what I'm looking for is the length needed for the front and rear tubes. I imagine all full body threaded coilover shocks are similar in length, so the tubes will be close to what I need.

I'd hate to make them too long, then have to cut down, and machine new threads, or even worse, too short, and I'm totally screwed!

Hopefully someone has a quick answer!

Thanks.

That's what I'm afraid of, if they're that much shorter than the stock suspension, I want to make sure the tubes I get made are long enough so it's not putting the car too low. However, after pulling off the rear bumper, I've got a 7" gap to fill!  :icon52:

null_zpsb04b686f.jpg

Edited by Serban

This saves me having to ask. I just started to tearing into a set of Megan S13 coilovers that I had previously adapted to my now-deceased 83 ZX. I'd like to re-purpose them to fit my "new" 77. I looked at sectioning struts and using ground control sleeves, and although it's well within my ability, reusing the Megan housings would allow my to keep the ride height adjustment independent of preload. Probably not a huge advantage, but is also saves me buying sleeves, and it would save a ton of work. I had heard some board members say that the S13 coilovers "won't go low enough", but I'm not sure how much is enough. The 280Z is currently on Eibach springs (20mm lower?) and I'd like to drop it another inch and a half. Once I can confirm these housings will meet my goals, the next job is to try and source some good dampers (Bilstein or Koni) and build a set of sleeper Taiwanese coilovers with properly valved quality dampers, proper springs, weld-in camber plates, and of course I need to find some threaded sleeves and spindles to replace the ZX stuff. 

Mightymaxx, why don't you just use koni shocks and ground control sleeves in the stock 280z tubes? It sounds like that's what you plan on doing with the megans, so why would you redo that twice?

As mentioned, I already have the Megans, but after running them for a season in my ZX I have no interest in using them in their current state, but there's nothing wrong with the threaded bodies. Feal suspesion offers a revalve service for them for $150/corner, a decent savings over buying new dampers, and I'd happily go that route if I could find some good reviews on their work, but there internet is scarce with information so I'm hesitant to take their word for it. Megan's website claims that Bilstein shim stacks are compatible with their dampers, which if true makes a good case for Feal being able to make significant improvements, but again, I'd like to hear reviews from a 3rd party.

Anyways, I have the tools and knowledge sections the struts, and I've very pleased with Ground Control and their products and service, in fact they sponsored an Evo III Targa Newfoundland Rally car a friend and I built, and I ended up on a first name basis with their development guy as we scrambled to put together a suspension package in the month before the week-long rally. In fact I had planned on sourcing they Konis, springs, and revalve if necessary from them. It's just that using the Megan bodies allows me to adjust ride height independent of preload, perhaps not something I would continually play with, but it just makes initial setup as flexible as possible. It also saves me the cost of the threaded sleeves, and saves me the time and effort of sectioning the strut tubes. The rest of the shopping list is the same ( dampers and the bits to make them fit the bodies, custom gland nuts and spacers, camber plates, springs). I'll have left over camber plates, S130 Spindles welded to threaded tubes, S13 rear lower mounts (same as S130), as well camber plates and top mounts. I plan on selling that as a kit which will allow Megan, or and brand of coilover with the same thread (BC & Stance IIRC) bold up to an S130, hopefully I can partially fund this project with that.  

This project isn't 100% ready to go ahead, I should have the dampers out of the Megans this weekend to measure up (only a snap ring in the way, just haven't had any time this week), and if I can't find a damper to fit, than I'll look at GC sleeves, or Feal suspension, and if I can't get any positive reviews on Feal suspension, then that just leaves the tried and true GC sleeves. 

Front and rear shocks are pretty similar in length, but they are different diameters. 52.7mm rear, 55.7mm front.

null_zpsddc1be9b.jpg

From all the info I've gathered, the rear tubes need to be longer, and they get welded further up on the shock tube unlike the front.

If anyone has those lengths, it would take a lot of guesswork out the equation.

feal is defiantly a quality company. Not saying they are the best, but they do know what they are doing. Most people I know either go through them or Fortune auto, when they want to rebuild stuff. 

Serb,

You have a 280, which has longer rear strut tubes. If you're looking for the length at which to section the tubes, I'm sure it's in the strut section FAQ. 

feal is defiantly a quality company. Not saying they are the best, but they do know what they are doing. Most people I know either go through them or Fortune auto, when they want to rebuild stuff. 

Serb,

You have a 280, which has longer rear strut tubes. If you're looking for the length at which to section the tubes, I'm sure it's in the strut section FAQ. 

Yeah I haven't heard anything terrible about Feal, however most threads that mention them also holed BC Racing and Stance coilovers in high regard. The most useful tidbit of info I've found is that the Megan dampers are linear, and can be tuned to perform alright at handling weight transfer on smooth tracks, however smooth pavement doesn't exist where I live. It seems digressive valving is required for control over bumps, makes sense since you would want the the springs to soak up the bumps rather than the chassis.  The car is primarily a street and autocross machine. I can't justify pouring a ton of money into the suspension, but the Feal revalve is $150/corner, where as Konis would run about $200/corner, not a huge difference as long as they'll work out of the box without requiring a revalve.   

With all this said, I should point out that I competed in the Targa Newfoundland Rally this year in an AE86 on Megans (we had spent the year building an Evo III, but lost the engine on prologue day and scrambled to prep the 86 overnight). Anyways despite the suspension we were able to finish in 3rd place (we were in 2nd until the very last stage when we gave up our position by 15 seconds as our focus was finishing the last day intact. 

You also need to consider springs. Supposedly 80-90% of springs out there aren't linear and just have plain bad quality. Swift and hyperco springs are supposed to be the best. 

In case you haven't read this: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/157535-swift-springs-dynoed.html

Edited by BluDestiny

You also need to consider springs. Supposedly 80-90% of springs out there aren't linear and just have plain bad quality. Swift and hyperco springs are supposed to be the best. 

In case you haven't read this: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/157535-swift-springs-dynoed.html

Springs would most definitely be upgraded. I'm well aware the Megan springs are junk, and at a nominal 450lb/in front and 380 rear, they're much to stiff anyways. I haven't fully researched spring rates, but I figured I'd go with something in the neighbourhood of 350F, 300R, though something a tad softer might be ideal. Interesting that Swift outperforms everything else by such a margin, though that thread is 5 years old, so perhaps other manufacturers have since caught up. I figured I might go with Eibach, just because I had planned on sourcing my gear from Ground Control who deals in Eibach. 

I've got 6 sets. I believe they are M54x2.00. I've got T3 coilovers going in my 280zx. The tubes are press fit onto the spindles and then will need welding. I'm having mine welded today, hopefully will have pictures for you soon. I will verify the threads and let you know ASAP.

I've got 6 sets. I believe they are M54x2.00. I've got T3 coilovers going in my 280zx. The tubes are press fit onto the spindles and then will need welding. I'm having mine welded today, hopefully will have pictures for you soon. I will verify the threads and let you know ASAP.

Is this to say you have 6 sets of 4, or 6 tubes and you're using 2? Regardless, I'd be happy to buy a set off you if Serban doesn't take first dibs. 

I have a set of 280ZX spindles already welded into tubes from my previous car for sale. Once I have the suspension converted for my S30, I'll have a complete package for sale that will allow any coilover bodies with the same thread to work on a 280ZX. IT will include front spindles, rear mounts, front camber plates and rear top hats.