HybridZ

Lighter starter?

duragg

You got it about right, a low inertia clutch flywheel should be around $1K, plus starter.

What weight flywheel you running? And do you have a conventional clutch cover?

The standard cover weighs 24#, a "lightweight" flywheel anywhere between 9-11#, so you are looking best case at 33#.

A standard Tilton triple disc large diameter setup runs 15# total. And it's off a far more important place to remove weight than the mass of the body.

Check the weights of your rims and lug nuts as well as that driveshaft.

Failing all that, you would be amazed how much you can knock off in body and paint prep trimming spot weld flanges... Bumper Bracket Holing... Etc...

Edited by Tony D

I have the Arizona Zcar 12lb flywheel now (Made by someone else, I can't remember who).

I need to figure out a good, light Road Race clutch ASAP since new Rebello motor will be here in X-XX weeks.

2252 empty now with cage and all.

Had a winter goal of shaving 50 pounds which should be easy, but also depends on RWHP Dyno of new engine to stay "In Class".

Need to figure out a reasonably priced clutch (reasonable = $250 +/- $100) 

I have a QM twin 5.5 setup.  The flywheel and clutch assembly weights 9.1 lbs, not sure about the starter adapter but it is almost noting as it is aluminum and like 4x5"x .5".  Whole thing is for sale for $500 shipped-just sayin.  Safe to say the whole thing with a lighter starter whould be a sum of around -27 to -29 lbs by my guestimation.  With most of that weight being driven right off the crank :icon46:

You ain't getting one for that price. You might OVERHAUL one for that, but not buy one new for that.

I'm with Roger on that, any standard 7.5" double disc will easily drop your rotating weight on the flywheel from its current 36# to 15# easily! There's almost half your 50# goal! and where it REALLY makes a difference. The smaller new-generation NASCAR derived 5" assemblies are as I see even lighter! That would shave another 6# off...

You are a dedicated track car, ditch street components which is what the AZC flywheel really is, a twin disc will turn your car into something else in terms of throttle response. Make SURE your throttle linkage is smooth, not binding, and progressive!

So, where to get another 25# cheap? I'd look at the car and be practical on a dedicated track vehicle in a shunt: bumpers really serve no function other than looks on a 240Z, Hood and Back Glass, inner door panels still on there? Interior pieces and sound deadening on the underside/inside?

A know a place that makes quick-release hinge-pinned aluminum or titanium door hinges for an S30...

How about a fiberglass or carbonfiber hood for weight reduction? aluminum drive shaft should save you some too.

Quartermaster, AP, OS Giken, Tilton, 10000RPM make multi-plate clutches in 7.25", 5.5", 5", and 4.5" diameters that can installed behind the L6 that turns out to be 10lbs or less complete! But ya ain't getting one for 250$ ... Its not a direct swap tho from a comment JohnC made in another post "you need to change to an annular clutch release setup". Be prepared to be doing maintenance on these things regularly... I also heard through the googles anything that fits a 240SX SOHC will also work on our L28's ....

Edited by AZGhost623

Thanks to the 510 gang on 510realm for a heads up on a tip about light starters.   Discussed in this thread. 

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9527&hilit=gear+reduction+starter#p96502

They come from "TS Imported Automotive". They have light weight and compact starter for Datsuns (and others).

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/gearreductionstarters.html

I've asked them to let me know the weight. Will post when they reply. 

Only $200 bucks, made in Ohio none the less!

What do the NASCAR guys use to start their engines? I dont even think they have starters do they? They just use a tool to start it and then its done. Also, you could get rid of your battery and go with a capacitor battery replacement... As long as your alternator works you dont need that dead weight being hauled around. Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM