HybridZ

Modified water pump for the L series engines. LOOK!

jeffp

I was talking to Moroso regarding a electric water pump and was hoping they would do a pump for our cars. I spoke to Bill yesterday and they would have to sell about 100 pumps a year to make it worth all the R&D for the project. I mentioned all ofthe various race shops that might be interested in the unit as well, but am not sure if they called anyone.

anyway, he suggested a external pum configuration and said he would give me a good deal on a pump if I caould come up with an adapter to bolt to the front of the cover. Now I was not really interested in an external pump configuration because I did not want all the hoses and hardware in my engine compartment. I got to thinking tho, I could design a water pump block that would bolt directly to the front cover like the stock pump, run -12 lines into and out of the block and just get rid of the belt stuff all together. I think it could be a very clean install, and the adapter would not be that hard to make and use the A/N fittings to and from the pump.

The pump will flow 20 gallons a minute so that is some really good flow andthat spec was taken with the pump installed on an engine so it is actual flow rates. An electric fan would be required for the application, but allot of guys like the electric fan better anyway.

So what do you guys and gals (Donna smile.gif ) think. I can do the R&D on the unit, run it with A/N fittings with a -12 line and it will install just like the stock unit, with the exception of a change in some of the mounting screws. The best part is that Moroso just might market the unit. 2thumbs.gif

All you have to to is cover the water pump hole with a flat block-off plate and plumb the pump into the inlet on the side of the block. The pump sits above the alt. and inlet faces fwd to the rad outlet and the pump outlet goes straight in the adapter for the block. It would give you a lot more room to run a 16 inch electric fan. Just my .02

I haven't gotten the price of the pump or the plumbing yet. I need to design a good block to run the fittings and mount it to the front of the engine. I know what I want to do with it, but I just need to get the time to do the work. I have a number of projects going right now and I need to finish some of them first.

I have a friend that can do the CNC work on the block so that really is not a problem, but I need to make a drawing of what I want and go for it. I just may call Moroso and get the pump to get a better idea of what I am dealing with here.

What my plan is will be to make the block, plumb it with 3/4 A/N fittings, one from the side (inlet to the pump) and noe from the top with a 90 degree fitting (outlet ofthe pump) and mount the pump around the vacuum pump on the inner fender. I want to keep the lines as short as possible and use steel braided lines and I think it will be a masintenance free system. I was considering a sensor that would trigger the pump to start once the water temp was to about 160 degrees and go from there. I could also have the pump start when the car is running as well. I do need to provide more bypass relief in the thermostat so that the pump will move some coolant while the thermostat is closed, but that is not much of a problem.

So thats the plan. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

This the first time I have answered any thing through HybriZ.

In Australia you can purchase an electric pump manufactured by Davies Craig. You can set it up using the optional smart controller this allows when the pump starts when the engine has come up to temperature.

The benefits are:

Increase engine power and torque

Better control of engine temperature

Increase maximum engine speed

Improves fuel economy

Run on, after hot engine shut down,

plus other benefits.

I hope that helps.

Regards

SCM