HybridZ

Tried to show off *failed* 280z project

IncompetentOne

Hello hybridz,

To start off, I own a four speed 1977 280z and I have the manuals off Xenons30. I bought the car just before I turned 16 two years ago. In the two years I have done a head swap, clutch change, and quite a few other mods in attempt to make the car fun and daily-able. I have finally been able to start driving the car to school this month. For the first few days, I was driving it with open headers because I upgraded to the MSA 6-1 headers, and since I finally got the exhaust made up I thought I should take my girl out for lunch one day at school as we are seniors. We left the lot along with most of the other seniors, and of course, I decided to show what the Z could do. It was a long road, an S bend then a half mile straight with no intersections. I floored it up to around 80, let he revs fall while in gear so you can hear the compression through the exhaust, then pushed the clutch in to start slowing down. Then I realized the engine had died, I quickly started it back up before my girl noticed anything was wrong. It ran like CRAP for the last quarter mile or so. It sounded like it was missing on a few cylinders. Stopped at the red light at the end of the street and of course the car dies. It took about five tries for it to start again. I immediately pulled into a gas station as I thought maybe it was a fuel issue. After putting a few gallons in it, it wouldn't start again. I checked spark and it had great spark. Fresh battery as well. It had to be a fuel problem then. I pushed the Z into a parking space and called a friend to come pick us up. After school, I hurried back to the gas station of course. To my surprise, it started right up. I turned it off to go in the store and thank the manager for watching over my car. Come back out, and it won't start again. I unplugged the cold start injector, tried to start it a few times and then it started...

-I was thinking maybe my tank, lines, and filter are clogged?

-Also, when I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, I took out my plug for the EGR on the intake, and it smelled like gas, but it almost looked like oil...

-I am very familiar with the car inside and out, but I have always had one question... When the car is in gear rolling at "high" speeds, does the compression of each cylinder still pull up the flap in the AFM and spray fuel?

I will upload pics of my EGR block off, and of the car in general

Thanks to any comments or suggestions! I have been reading builds on Z's for a while and they are all pretty damn sick!

I was kidding, kind of.  Non Tech for the story, and engine related for your problem.

With the throttle closed not much air can pass through the engine.  So the AFM doesn't do much.  You can suck oil past the oil rings and through the valve seals though, especially on a high mileage engine, as the cylinders go from pressurized to vacuum with not much air passing through.  How do the plugs look?  That might tell you something.

NewZed - I just replaced the plugs a few days ago but I will be sure to check them. I had a head built for the car, with stiff valve springs and new valves off of a racing Z... Don't know if that makes a difference or not though. The EGR hole block off really does look like it's covered in a mix of oil and gas though

Ehhh you're 18, it's expected that you show off a little bit. It makes the memories.

Yes, the AFM should still open up since the pistons are still drawing in air.  I would assume throttle body position would have an effect on how far the AFM opens up, but not 100%.

I really don't know the condition of your car, but when it doesn't start you need to check the basics. Pop a spark wire off and set it next to a ground (strut tower nut is what I usually use), make sure you have spark. Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen to the injectors while cranking to see if they're clicking (opening/closing). If you have a fuel pressure gauge, you can hook it up, leave your hood just open on the release latch, run the fuel pressure gauge up to the windshield and tape it to it while monitoring WOT to see if it maintains pressure. If not, could be a failing pump, crap in the tank, clogged filter, etc. Go from there...

Edited by zeeboost