HybridZ

S30 harness on Z31 ecu

Fist off let me start by saying that this is my first old school Z, so I am not very educated on these vehicles...

I recently started to restore my 1978 280z and have decided to turbocharge my L28E and started to collect parts to run this setup. Now, I will be using (or at least attempt) to use the Z31 ecu with the JWT flash, but I was wondering if anyone has successfully used the stock S30 harness for this ecu/setup?

Any help/advise is appreciated!

I'm pretty sure you will need the Z31 harness because the Z31 uses a different type of fuel injection. (MAF Based). Why do you want to use the Z31 ECU? MegaSquirt has been proven to run the L28ET very well.  If you're mainly looking for the JWT flash, then you're going to need to set it up like a Z31. Though the Tune still would need some tweaking.  We'd be really interested in your experiences. Please write it up and add some pictures.

I do plan to use the ecu with its harness and wire up just what's needed for the ecu/system to run. I will be wiring up a cobra maf, z31 o2 sensor and will also be runing the 83 turbo distributor with the z31 encoder disk. So technically will be doing doing a harness for it.

I'm pretty sure you will need the Z31 harness because the Z31 uses a different type of fuel injection. (MAF Based). Why do you want to use the Z31 ECU? MegaSquirt has been proven to run the L28ET very well. If you're mainly looking for the JWT flash, then you're going to need to set it up like a Z31. Though the Tune still would need some tweaking. We'd be really interested in your experiences. Please write it up and add some pictures.

This is incorrect. The z31 ecu/maf/crank angle sensor has been used many times on the l28et harness and i run it myself. You need to splice the connector for the maf in to the harness and change a couple pins in the ecu connector. The system works and many have had good results, but its still primitive compared to a standalone/megasquirt system. It alll depends what you want in the long run. The JWT systems are essentially flashed systems that are based on the parts you have, so its never going to be as good as a true tune specific to your engine.

Edit: just realized you wrote s30 harness, not l28et. You might br better off just picking up an l28et harness and splicing as its been done many times. It will also include pig tails

To the crank angle sensor and cylinder head temp sensor (although make sure its an 82-83 harness) that will eliminate some wiring youll need to do yourself. They can be had for under $100

Edited by SDgoods

This is my first experience with the Z's and yes, in the short run I'll be aiming for a MS. I've always been used to create my own maps with ecuflash for the evo and for dsm's tuned with dsmlink, plus I've done a couple of camaros with hptuners, so I'm not used to "out of the can flashes/maps" because of the factors that play a role when it comes to tuning for reliability and power.

Thanks for the suggestions/advise, please keep them coming as I will be needing them!