HybridZ

Cam Swap Out?

boholio

If the lash pads are the same size as stock I could do it in about an hour, maybe less. They are probably taking forever because they forgot to stake the timing chain, or put the car on TDC first.

Why not try advancing the cam and running some of that guarantee'd to pass emissions crap before going to all that expense?

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

They are probably taking forever because they forgot to stake the timing chain, or put the car on TDC first.

BTW, if they did forget to stake the chain, I'd put up a really big fight if they try to charge you for the labor involved (pull radiator, all accessories, timing cover, etc.).

This is a very well known and documented procedure, and there is no excuse for a professional shop screwing this up. Like Lockjaw said, if you've done this a few times, it can be done in an hour or so. I'm not sure what the flat rate is for this, but I would guess it's four hours or less.

Yea, Denver Metro area sucks, every vehicle newer than I think it was either 1952 or 59(cant remember) has to have an emissions test, granted it's not as stringent as 81 and newer vehicles, but stills SUCKS! I'm not exactly sure what cam is in it, but it sure pulls hard from about 2800-redline. The shop I have it in is a pretty respected Z-Car shop for the Denver area, and the owner who is working on it supposedly knows his stuff. Part of the problem I guess is that it has the triple Webber setup, and I hear they are a pain the in butt to get dialed in especially in this altitude. I'm just getting bummed because I'm losing the rest of my summer, and I haven't even had a whole lot of time to drive my new ride! I'm also kind of worried to see the final bill, I appreciate the knowledge of the 4 hours or less, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Quick ?, how long should it take to swap out a cam on an L24? I am jumping through damned hoops trying to get my car to pass emissions in this wonderful freeking state of CO, and ending up having to swap out my cam to a stock one. Anyway, I'm having a shop do it and it is taking freeking forever!

Thanks all!

If you have webers, why not come up with a set of SU's, put stock needles in them, and then once you pass emisions put the webers back on.

When it comes to emissions, one must get creative.

I would suggest looking into a Z club and seeing if one is in your area. Then see if anyone has experience with the emissions stuff and cam swaps etc. Perhaps they would show you what you need to know so you can handle it yourself.

Also, make sure you get your good cam back because the stock one is not going to run like a modified one.

Yea, good thoughts! I just went through all the extra parts I got from the car, of course, I have a full dual SU setup all ready to go. Too late, the stock cam is in and will be emission tested today.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll keep you posted as to my results.