HybridZ

Rb20DET Runs in limp mode

I have a Rb20DET. It Runs as if its in limp mode,(super rich runs bad at 3500 rps or higher) but it throws NO Codes at the ecu,

ITs has a NistuneType-2

when i got the car it ran fine, but on a random start it started acting funny,  so as far as i know its nothing I physically did to the car...

with a oscilloscope it showed a signal on the signal wire, pin number 27

The wiring harness looked like crap so i replaced the harness from a custom one from wiring specialties, 

but anyway that didnt fix the problem,  and who ever built the car used like a 1980 power pack from a firebird or something so i replaced it with a new RB power pack

To make sure its not the MAF i put in a good stock MAF  (had a z32)  Still didn't fix the problem,  I went on to replace the ECU and had the Nistune re-flashed just in case it had currpted data 

Now while the car is running  it runs the same with the MAF plugged in or not, So I am pretty positive the problem lies between THE MAF or the Ecu,

does anyone have any suggestions?  

I personally was thinking I could maybe find someone with an RB20det and plugging in my ecu/nitune board into there car and see if the problem shows up in that car...  

here is a vidieo link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0y1wGy2Zaw

That's how that ecu family runs without a working prom chip in it.

It could be anything from a badly soldered socket to a nistune board that is non-functional.

To prevent issues in that case, I usually pull the prom chip undamaged from the ecu or burn another one from an image someone has posted online and plug it in instead of the nistune board.

Seems the commonality is the nistune unit.

Can you communicate with it in the nistune software?

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Can you communicate with the ecu?

Can you see rpms when running or throttle position when key on and engine off?

If you can, try sucking the tune from the nistune unit and save it as if you are going to burn it to a prom.

Then compare it to a stock rb20 tune you can find on the internet.

If you get errors when trying to do this, then it could be that he nistune unit has issues.

If can insert a stock prom in the socket and the car still runs as described above, then it is a sensor or actuator affecting the ecu and putting it into crisis.

I would check the easy stuff first and move on to the more complicated stuff if you get no solution.

Hmm, I have a chipped ecu from Carl H, so this may or may not apply to you.

My car had a loose connection with the TPS.  One minute the connection would be fine and dandy and the car would run great.  Then the TPS would go out (while on the road) and the AFR's would go rich then lean, then back to rich.  I ended up removing the plug for the TPS and hardwired it in, and that seemed to fixed my problem.

this is what happened

My car was fine as i drove to Safeway,  when i get back in after shopping,  it ran poorly,

I took it to auto mechanic that said he could fix it  he had my car for 6 months, and then sold it to another guy..  the new guy said he could fix it,

He said the wiring harness was bad and its probably whats wrong with it,  so i bought a new harness from wiring specialties (it looks great)  it cleaned up my car and i am impressed with the results but it did nothing to fix my car,

He said i should change the power pack cuz it was crap,  and while i am at it my auto gauges,  so i did,  I got a new power pack and i bought some sexy ass gauges from speed hut,  still didn't fix the problem

My mechanic then said he had to be my ECU since my Maf Is showing a signal on the scope going to the Ecu,  but the signal gets "lost" in the computer and it shows not having one...

I bought a new ecu  I had the nistune professional soldered onto it.  It still didnt fix the problem,  at this point my Mechanic gave up and just gave me back my car,

I sent my ECU with nistune attached to it, to auto Vaughn performance  he saids the the board looked good but he is going to reflash it just in case there is currpted data, and my soldered looks solid.

He did it for free so i was happy with the service,

got the Ecu back but my car is still not working,  SO  everything from the maf wires ecu have all been replaced,  there is not much left i can do,  i am at my wits in,  i need someone that can look at my car and fix it,  I live between san fran and Sacramento,  and i cant find a decent Mechanic that can help me out,  Id be happy if i could find someone with a rb20det engine to send my ecu to, so they can plug it into there car and at least eliminate or norrow down the problem to my car.  

Not really sure how i can go in more detail,  It runs in limp mode,  Means the ecu uses a safe default map to make the car run but not run well...  It chokes, back fires, the mixture is incorrect.  anything over 3000 rpm and it shutters and almost dies 

not sure why the timing would be off, it was fine before, like i said it happened in mid trip,

there is a signal going from the maf to the cpu (pin 27)  but for some reason the cpu isnt reading it,   but i have replaced the cpu,  lol i really think its the nistune itself,    best way to check it is to just plug it into another car  takes less then 5mins,  but i need to find someone with a Rb20det engine with a nistune chip 

• 2 weeks later...