HybridZ

New Turbo Question

Ratty280z

First of all sorry if im in the wrong area this is my first post. I usually just lurk to solve simple problems on my car.

But anyways.. Ive just picked up an l28et that i plan to put in my 280 in a week or two but the turbo is shot. I had planned to just get another stock rebuilt turbo but ive grown interested in a holset. (hx35w, hy35)

While im not new to engines i AM new to turbos as this is going to be my first turbo car. I was wondering if anything extra had to be done to add the holset in place of the stock turbo. If so ill have to stick with a stock one for now as i only have about 1000 to buy the turbo, tranny, and a few gauges to keep a check on everything.

Edited by Ratty280z

I'm planning on using a Holset HY35W myself. Perhaps the biggest issue is wastegate actuation (you have to rotate the compressor housing, which puts the stock actuators mounting point in the wrong spot), but you can remedy this in a number of ways.

Other issues would be oddball v-band sizes, which necessitate the use of the stock cast iron section coming off the exhaust side of the turbo. Welding steel to cast iron can be expensive and troublesome.

There are other small issues, but in my opinion, the low cost and high performance potential of these turbos make them worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

You cant use the stock holset wastegate. It cannot vent enough exhaust to prevent crazy high boost levels. So you need to add an external wastegate. That means modding the factory manifold or going aftermarket.

That depends on which turbo you are using and how much boost you are running. I have successfully done it when I had an L. You should be able to dig up my images on the project section. If you run high enough boost or get a bigger turbo you will mostly avoid creep. With a heavily ported waste gate route in the turbine housing and an aftermarket waste gate actuator (like an HKS adjustable unit for an sr20) you can get creep down. The alternative is to fab an external gate in place or use an aftermarket manifold. I did an he3x1 style turbo with a heavily ported waste gate and would creep to 16 up high. If you have built it to run more than 16 then its not a problem. :-) I also had a cam in it which reduces the creep. Be advised that an H1C can also be an option and despite what a previous poster stated, there are holsets that have a turbine mounted waste gate actuator so you may clock things.

Buy a rebuild kit for your holset while you are at it. They are cheap. holsets have integral balancing so you dont need to worry about that. The turbine wheel and shaft are one unit and its balanced and the compressor wheel is balanced. basic hand tools and a torque wrench are all you need. holsets are not water cooled. Go for a 7 blade hx35.

Edited by WizardBlack