HybridZ

KAAZ 2 way LSD short nose R200 center into Long Nose

rayaapp2

I have one of these units right now. I took a quick peek at it and it looks like it could be used in a long nose. I did some google searching and most guys say it will not work, but the reason why they said it wont work is because the axles for the short nose are like the VLSD long nose axles, but mine are not. The 280zxt cv axles have identical ends and so do the 280Z R200 stubs for U-joint shafts. So other than finding the bearings I dont see why one couldnt use the KAAZ LSD for the 240sx in a long nose.

Before I start pulling things apart and end up learning the hard way why this wont work, I was hoping someone on here had done something similar and could possibly help me out. If I can use the KAAZ, there is no point in me searching for the R200 clutch type and then going through that unit and getting the extra clutch packs I should be using when the KAAZ is rated for my power goals.

post-273-0-33022200-1391480612_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

I do know about the 2 different size ring gear bolts.

Edited by rayaapp2

240sx NA KAAZ will in a s30, I done it, however, I dont recommend it for anything other then a track car, it's VERY harsh. I was killing control arm poly's every 3 months. FYI, if you had searched you would have found the old threads on here, which is how I found out about it.

Edited by Vindicare

The Google search feature works better than the hybridz search function. No idea why, but I completely missed any threads related to the KAAZ. I found some information on it at Ratsun, but it was not clear and the thread died before any progress was made. Vindicare: What do you mean harsh? I had this rear end in the S13, it never made any of the clatter everyone always complains about. Also why were you killing control bushings and why do you think it was the rear end? I have several S30's with LSD rear ends and Ive never had that problem or at least Ive never attributed it to the type of LSD I had.

As for the bearings the pinion bearing seems hard to get or is really expensive when you can find it. Most places cant find the bearing. At least that has been my experience.

Edited by rayaapp2

Chatter isn't what I'm saying. Think more along the lines of BANG!!!!BANG!!!!! Under part power, it would lock and unlock constantly going around a corner, under no power no noises, under full power both wheels lock together and you go sideways. I'd recommend a 1 way or maybe a 1.5 would help. 2 way will just drive you mad. Don't get me wrong, at 9tenths it's great, but just cruising the streets it's horrid. It's explained in a old thread by one of the senior guys here that it has to do with the preset way the KAAZ locks up. Put it this way, I wouldn't buy one again. Try it yourself and report back. Sounds like you have it setup already.

FYI, I ran my KAAZ in by the book, about an hour of figure 8s before dropping the oil and replacing it. Sore arms afterwoods