HybridZ

Rough weight of L28 and tranny?

Bob_H

So you are saying 550 total? And what are you basing the guess on? As a reference, the SR20det and tranny is just under 500, and the RB26dett and tranny appears to be about 750. Trying to get an idea of how much weight I will gain with the swap.

-Bob

Ok, I'm game...,

Why do you have a forged set of RB26dett pistons? I don't really want to monkey with the RB motor I am buying but rather run it for a long time on stock parts. Droping several thousand dollars for a motor and transmission is hard enough to swallow.

I'll give you $15 for each piston. You didn't mention what CR it gives me?

-Bob

Bob I am basing my guess upon the "grunt factor" of lifting the block, crank, and head.

I would say 550 should be about accurate.

The rb I would expect to weigh a little more since I am sure it has a beefier trans, and the head is larger with two cams.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey Bob,I weighed all the parts some years ago and if I remember correctly I believe the bare block was right at 150 lbs. , the crank was right around 55 lbs. All 6 pistons and rods were around 20 lbs.And the complete head assy. was about 75 lbs.The flywheel was 23 lbs.Throw in the chain and gears and all the covers and pulleys for another 20 lbs.

I am not sure of the weight of the manifolds and other related components.

Later,norm

Originally posted by Bob H:

And what the heck is going on with my signature? I tired to take out the [url= stuff, but it still shows up, and no link? blah. I must have something checked I shouldn't, like don't let that stuff work..

-Bob

After you delete the URL stuff, don't forget to scroll to the bottom and hit the "update profile" button.

Ok, in order,

Norm, I did search, although a weak one and came up with this:

http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000193

However, after your ribbing, I searched again, and with some more diligent search terms, I came up with:

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000151#000000

Which still seems kinda low to me since the SR20det is supposed to be almost exactly the same,(Morgan says ~475lbs for L28et).

Mike, I have updated my profile again,(I hit update profile each time, it said processing, then brought be back) but it still appears with the [url= stuff. I have not changed it since I signed up for this account, and it worked before,(as a link), and now does not. And I am the only one I see with the [url= code, i.e. others have proper links.

But back to my topic. I am in agreement with you Norm on the bare weights. Add about 100-150 for fluids, manifolds, exhaust, etc and that should be the just under 500 Morgan quoted. So that would indicate switching to a SR20det,(for those considering), it is NOT a weight advantage, but rather a more central mass advantage. Interesting. The RB's extra weight is mostly in the turbo's, intake, intercooler, etc.. The block itself is likely about 25 lbs more than the L28.

-Bob

Ok, back to my url problem.

Every time I go into my profile to change the stuff, I get the same thing, regardless of previous changes:

Http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/

That is a direct copy from my profile page. I can delete it all, and it still appears. I don't know.

And I don't know what Morgan included or how he weighted it. I would imaging he did not include the clutch and flywheel.

-Bob

A HA! First, after you "correct" it, it takes at least another post before it takes effect. And two, it is automatically a linked text w/o URL commands.

That's kinda screwy, cause what if you want to put a quote, not a link? Oh well, its fixed.

-Bob