HybridZ

@&*()%$ intermittent power failure '78 280

dicky

issue          at any rpm or mph, any gear or engine temp, rain or shine, any time of day.......the darn beast tries to die..quit..fail.  RPM's drop to 300's .  Sometimes it will die....other times, with a slight throttle blip it will recover and all is well again. If not, a key off  and an immediate on  restart works too.   Could be during the same drive, or not for

several trips.  No established run or distance time for the oddity to happen    HELP

attempted cures        cleaned ALL electrical  connectors that are visible.  Opened and cleaned all relays that I could find.  Pulled, cleaned and replaced/exchanged all sensors.

Have eliminated all the sensor circuits one a a time, and still had the failure.  Full pump good, new filter.... pressure gauge installed and a vacuum too.  BTW the vacuum

reads 21+ inches as normal.  Seems high to me, but cannot find any material to guide me.  

Maybe I should go and rotate the air in the tires.    HELP

I'm thinking a fuel issue.  If it were an electrical, would not the beast just flat ass out and die??

More HELP

Look under the carpet behind the passenger seat.  The leads for your fuel pump run through there and there are some aluminum bullet connectors there.  Pull them apart and clean them.  You may be getting interrupted power flow to your pump randomly.

I had a similar problem years ago but it was my young son, who was riding behind the seat, scuffing his feet around causing the problem.

How do your plugs look?  Are they black and wet or normal in appearance?

Thanx Yakima....plugs are AOK and a rebuilt distr from a ZX is in place. How in the world   was your son able

to wiggle those connectors??  Do you have a 2+2?  I will go and see what's what.  BTW I cut some holes and

installed a couple of 6x9 speakers back in that area, what a difference in audio pleasure.