HybridZ

5 speed part search, no longer made?

str8pipez

So my freshly installed early 280ZX five had the common popping out of fifth gear syndrome. So I pull the trans hoping it's the loose main shaft nut issue and what do you know, the nut was tight. Upon further disassembly it turns out my trans guy says it's the fifth gear blocking/fiber ring and slider as picture. Anyone have any idea where I can get these parts new? I really need the fiber ring and the Transtar books says it's no longer available.

We may also try the parts of out a similar 4x4, anyone have any experience with any of this non sense?

post-28933-0-21231900-1394044360_thumb.jpg

post-28933-0-95695200-1394044379_thumb.jpg

Hope it works out for you.  There's a lot of wrong info in their web site copy, like most of the transmission parts shops.  

http://www.midwesttrans.com/fs5w71.html#partslist

Take Advantage of Our Expertise with the FS5W71

The FS5W71 is a five speed, RWD or 4WD transmission. The FS5W71 is Peugeot design, split-case aluminum design, This unit has tapered bearings except for the rear mainshaft and rear countershaft bearings. Syncro rings in the FS5W71 are aluminum ring/pin assemblies, the outer plates are part of the forward speed gears. The FS5W71 was used by Nissan in 1974 -1997. Select this link to see what models used this 5 Speed transmission.

240SX Frontier 280SX Pathfinder

Yeah. Hopefully they send the right parts. I talked to a tech who seemed to know what he was talking about. For those interested the 5th ring gear is NIS-5 ($95) and the ring and bearing kit is BK104WS ($159). Hopefully I get the right parts.