HybridZ

L28 turbo cooling Q's

Drax240z

I'm wondering if my stock 73 240z radiator will be able to cool my new 2.8 turbo engine once it goes in. I live in a pretty cold climate, with the hottest outside temps it will see being about 85F (28C). With a good electric fan, no ac, manual tranny, will this old rad keep my system cool? Or should I grab a rad out of a turbo car?

I'd just like to know before I spend any money getting the rad in nice shape.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

If you have a turbo radiator handy I would use it. The turbo has greater cooling capacity and depending on your mods could come in handy.Otherwise make sure the 240 rad is cleaned out good.

------------------

400HP or bust!!!!

My 350 runs the original rad with a recore job and runs perfect. The fan I am using is out of a supercharged 3.8 pontiac bonneville. I beleive that is my key to a cooler motor.

------------------

Drewz

Guest Fast Frog

Drax:

I ran my super "H" turbo setup with 16-18lbs of boost with my stock '76 radiator with a shroud. It handled the on boost performance quite well-and this is in the Grand Junction area where it gets 100+ degrees in the summer. I'd go with a ZX turbo radiator and a shroud.

• 2 years later...

hey randy I have the same problem in my 280zxt in stopped locations, so I'm going to keep the clutch fan and install a pusher fan in front of my motor that will be on, I won't do anything while driving because the clutch will out perform it but at idle it will make all the diference and I might hook one to cool the I/C at idle I'm not sure yet though.

tbs 2thumbs.gif

The only down side to using the 280z/280zx radiator in the 240z and that is the size. the 240Z radiator is a few inches shorter than the 280z rad. There for the radiator support is also shorter and to fit the 280 radiator in, it will hang below the radiator support. Just watch the curbs and pulling into parking spaces. If you have an airdam, then that will hang down lower than the rad and the rad support so you'll hit it first

You should be fine w/ the 240z radiator as long as ...

...it is clean, you have a good fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, and run a fan shroud or go with an electric fan.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Drax, I'm in Portland and the climates similar to BC. My stock '81 turbo only starts to heat up on the hottest days (95 plus, no I don't know what celsius is)in rush hour stop and go. The only other time I see the temp climb is if I run the car hard when its a hot day.

I'd plan on using the stock radiator, have it rodded. Get a good electric fan and figure a way to run a shroud around it. I'll bet you'll be fine.

dan 81zxt portland oregon